Thursday, 24 August 2017

The Qualifiers Round Three Review

The battle to secure a Super League spot for next season continued with round three of The Qualifiers.

The round opened on Saturday afternoon as Warrington Wolves claimed a 22-8 win over Halifax RLFC.

The Wolves opened the scoring on 22 minutes as Peta Hiku crossed to make it 4-0 but the sides went into the interval level at 4-4 after a late score from Chester Butler. Chris Hill restored the hosts' lead within five minutes of the restart, Declan Patton converting for 10-4. 

Fax hit back with a second from Butler for 10-8 but the hosts opened up a 16-8 lead with a Matty Russell try and Patton penalty goal ahead of a late try from André Savelio which Patton converted.

Catalans Dragons' survival hopes suffered a blow as they lost out 30-6 at home to Leigh Centurions.

The Centurions led 10-0 after 25 minutes with a seventh minute try from Adam Higson saw Ben Renyolds convert before Higson crossed for his second try on 24 minutes. The lead lasted into the interval with Leigh extending their advantage with a Cory Paterson try on 51 minutes, Renyolds converting for 16-0.

Leigh made the win safe on 67 minutes as Josh Drinkwater touched down with Renyolds converting for 24-0 after kicking a penalty goal four minutes earlier. Catalans avoided a nilling as Brayden Wiliame crossed on 77 minutes with Luke Walsh converting for 24-6. The final say went to the visitors as Paterson crossed for his second score in the final seconds with Renyolds converting.

Hull Kingston Rovers furthered their push for a Super League return with a narrow 35-30 win over London Broncos.

London led 6-0 inside four minutes as Jarrod Sammut converted an Andy Ackers try but KR levelled within four minutes as Danny Addy crossed and Jamie Ellis converted for 6-6. Sammut made it 8-6 with a penalty goal but a Kieren Moss try and Ellis' conversion gave the hosts a 12-8 advantage. 

KR took control ahead of the interval with scores from Rob Mulhern and Ryan Shaw with Ellis converting both and Chris Atkin sweeping over a last-gasp drop goal for 25-8. Ellis pushed the lead to 27-8 with a penalty before London battled back with a James Cunningham try which Sammut converted for 27-14. A second score from Shaw saw Ellis kick for 33-14. London continued to push with Alex Walker crossing and Sammut converting for 33-20. A penalty goal from Ellis made it 35-20 but London had the last say with a late double as Mark Ioane and Elliot Kear crossed with a single conversion from Sammut.

Widnes Vikings kept up their survival hopes with a comfortable 58-10 win over Featherstone Rovers. 

A rapid start from the Vikings saw them lead 22-0 inside 20 minutes with Rhys Hanbury and Charly Runciman scoring five minute braces with Lloyd White converting three times. Fev hit back through Misi Taulapapa for 22-4. A four minute brace from Chris Bridge before half-time saw White convert both for a huge 34-4 lead at the interval. 

James Lockwood cut the gap with Ian Hardman converting for 34-10 but Widnes powered on with a brace for Stefan Marsh sandwiching Bridge's hat-trick try coupled with a Danny Craven conversion. The rout was completed by a hat-trick try for Hanbury ahead of him converting a late effort from Joe Mellor.