Thursday, 17 August 2017

Super 8s- Super League/The Qualifiers Round Two Review

As promised last week, the reviews for the Super 8s begin with round two but again the two competitions are combined in one post.

Thursday night saw a Yorkshire battle with a surprise as Wakefield Trinity eased to a 38-6 win over Leeds Rhinos.

Trinity led 6-0 inside five minutes with a Joe Arundel try and Liam Finn conversion before Adam Cuthbertson crossed and Kallum Watkins converted for the Rhinos at 6-6.

Two scores in as many minutes put the hosts ahead as former Rhinos winger Ben Jones-Bishop went over as did Scott Grix with Finn improving both before adding a penalty six minutes later for 20-6. A try in the final seconds of the half from Jacob Miller saw Finn convert for 26-6 into the interval.

The second half was a low-scoring one compared to the frantic first half but Trinity maintained control and wrapped up the win with tries from Matt Ashurst and Bill Tupou with Finn converting both.

My attendance for the week was on Friday night as Wigan Warriors claimed an 18-4 win over Huddersfield Giants.

The Giants opened the scoring with 10 minutes played as Jermaine McGillvary crossed but Danny Brough was unable to convert at 0-4. Wigan levelled three minutes later through Anthony Gelling's try before edging ahead just before half-time with a Liam Farrell try which Sam Powell converted for 10-4 into the interval. 

Powell extended the lead with a penalty goal on 52 minutes before the win was sealed three minutes from the end as Sam Tomkins crossed for a try which he then converted. 

Castleford Tigers moved a step closer to securing the League Leaders Shield with a comfortable 23-4 win over Salford Red Devils.

The Tigers opened the scoring inside seven minutes through Zak Hardaker's try which Luke Gale converted for 0-6 before Hardaker claimed his second try just before the half-hour mark with Gale kicking for 0-12. The lead remained into the interval but within three minutes of the restart, Salford were on the board as Manu Vatuvei touched down for 4-12.

The win was wrapped up by two scores either side of the hour mark as Paul McShane and Jy Hitchcox crossed for tries with Gale converting the first before kicking a drop goal with five minutes left.

The final game of the round was the closest as Hull FC edged an 8-6 win over St Helens.

The Saints opened the scoring with just four minutes on the clock as Regan Grace crossed with Mark Percival converting for a 4-0 lead. FC went into the interval ahead as Marc Sneyd crossed for a try five minutes before half-time which he converted for 4-6.

A close-run second half saw just one further score as Sneyd kicked penalty goal four minutes after the hour mark for 6-8. Saints pushed to try and turn the narrow deficit around but to no avail as FC held on for the win.

The Qualifiers opened with Warrington Wolves claiming a 52-24 win over fellow Super League side Catalans Dragons.

The Wolves flew out of the blocks with tries from Stefan Ratchford, Matty Russell and Declan Patton inside 15 minutes with Patton converting the lot for an 18-0 lead. Catalans hit back five minutes later through Remi Casty, Luke Walsh converting for 18-6. Warrington resumed their control on the scoreboard with a Ryan Atkins effort ahead of Ratchford's second try with Patton improving both for 30-6 into the interval.

Catalans struck first in the second half as Krisnan Inu touched down with Walsh converting for 30-10. Atkins crossed for his second try which Patton converted before a long range try from Lewis Tierney saw Walsh convert for 36-16. The Wolves reached 40 points after efforts from Tom Lineham and Peta Hiku were improved by Patton but Catalans remained in the hunt with a second try from Inu, Walsh converting for 48-24. Warrington had the last say though as Lineham claimed his second try two minutes from the end.

Hull Kingston Rovers continued their quest to return to Super League with a narrow 20-16 win at Leigh Centurions.

Leigh struck first through Daniel Mortimer with Josh Drinkwater converting for a 6-0 lead which was cut on the half hour mark by Shaun Lunt's  try which Jamie Ellis converted for 6-6. The hosts led into the interval as Drinkwater converting a late penalty for 8-6.

Leigh moved to 10-6 with a Drinkwater penalty on 51 minutes but KR drew level on the hour mark as Ryan Shaw crossed with Ellis converting before adding a penalty five minutes later for 10-14. Leigh regained the lead on 69 minutes as Atelea Vea crossed with Drinkwater kicking for 16-14. The win was sealed for Rovers with four minutes to go as Lunt touched down for a second time with Ellis converting.

Widnes Vikings bounced back from their opening round defeat with a 36-12 win at Halifax.

The Vikings struck inside seven minutes as Chris Bridge crossed with Lloyd White converting for 0-6. A self converted effort from White was followed by him improving a late effort from Charly Runciman as Widnes led 0-18 into the interval.

A rapid brace from Corey Thompson within six minutes of the restart made it 0-26 but Fax cut the gap with a Ben Heaton brace before the hour with Steve Tyrer and Andy Murrell converting for 12-26. Widnes added the gloss on a strong win late on with scores from Joe Mellor (White conv) and Danny Craven.


The round ended with a fantastic 32-32 draw between London Broncos and Featherstone Rovers.

London made the perfect start as Jay Pitts crossed in the opening minute for 4-0 before Elliot Kear and William Barthau crossed in the space of two minutes with Jarrod Sammut converting once for 14-0. Fev responded through Connor Farrell with Ian Hardman converting for 14-6 before John Davies crossed just before half-time for 14-10.

A second try from Davies was swiftly followed by a score from Luke Briscoe with Hardman converting both for 14-22. London regained the lead with tries from Sammut and Mark Ioane with Sammut converting both to make it 26-22. London extended the lead through Andy Ackers (Sammut conv) but Fev fought back superbly with a second score for Briscoe ahead of a late try from Chris Ulugia with Hardman converting to secure the draw.