Wednesday, 23 August 2017

Super 8s Round Three Review

Ahead of a break due to the Challenge Cup Final, the Super 8s reached round three and after a low scoring round two, this was quite the opposite with three sides scoring 40+ points. 

Castleford Tigers claimed the League Leaders Shield with a comfortable 45-20 win over city rivals Wakefield Trinity in Thursday's round opener.

Trinity opened the scoring with a Liam Finn penalty goal inside two minutes for 0-2 before Cas led on ten minutes as Zak Hardaker crossed with Luke Gale converting for 6-2. Ben Jones-Bishop crossed for Trinity for 6-6 but Cas were back in front as Mike McMeeken crossed, Gale converting for 12-6.  Jake Webster went over for Cas with Gale kicking for 18-6 but the gap was 18-10 at the interval after a late try from Mason Caton-Brown. 

Danny Kirmond cut the gap further with Finn converting for 18-16. Cas took control,Greg Eden crossing before Webster completed his hat-trick and a fourth try, Gale converting twice while adding a drop goal too for 39-16. Max Jowitt made it 39-20 before a second score from Hardaker and conversion from Gale sealed top spot.

My attendance this round was on Friday as Wigan Warriors prepared for the cup final with a comfortable 42-6 win over Salford Red Devils. 

Wigan raced into a 16-0 lead inside 17 minutes with scores Sean O'Loughlin crossing for the opening try on eight minutes ahead of efforts from Liam Farrell and Joe Burgess with George Williams converting twice. 

A second score from Burgess was followed by a try from Sam Powell just before the interval with Williams converting for 22-0. A self-converted effort from Williams was followed by a rare score from Frank-Paul Nuuausala,Williams converting for a huge 36-0 lead.

Salford avoided a nilling as Niall Evalds went over on 68 minutes with Gareth O'Brien converting for 36-6 but the hosts had the last say as Liam Marshall crossed six minutes from the end.

Friday's televised action saw Leeds Rhinos bid farewell to their famous South Stand with  a 16-14 win over St Helens.

A tight first half saw the sides level at 2-2 past the half hour mark after penalty goals from Mark Percival and Kallum Watkins. Saints led 8-2 into the interval as Jonny Lomax crossed on 37 minutes with Percival converting.

Leeds levelled within eight minutes of the restart as Ryan Hall crossed and Watkins converted for 8-8. The Rhinos went ahead just after the hour as Adam Cuthbertson touched down with Watkins converting ahead of kicking a penalty goal for 16-8. 

Saints cut the gap to 16-14 with five minutes to go as Danny Richardson went over with Percival converting but they were unable to complete the comeback.

Hull FC's preparation to defend their Challenge Cup title saw them suffer a huge 46-18 loss to Huddersfield Giants.

The hosts opened the scoring through Gareth Ellis with Marc Sneyd converting for 6-0 after ten minutes. Hudds cut the gap to 6-4 with Darnell McIntosh's try before leading as Lee Gaskell touched down with Danny Brough converting for 10-6.

Jake Connor went over for the hosts with Sneyd converting for 12-10 but the Giants would lead 22-12 into the interval via tries from Alex Mellor and McIntosh with Brough converting twice. Brough added a penalty goal four minutes after the restart ahead of a try from Tyler Dickinson which Jordan Rankin converted for 30-12.

A second score from Gaskell was followed seven minutes later by FC denting the Giants spree as Josh Griffin touched down with Sneyd converting for 30-18. Hudds wrapped up the win with a Kruise Leeming try and third for Gaskell with Rankin converting both.