Thursday, 27 July 2017

Super League Round 23 Review

After the most unpredictable season to date in Super League, the regular season came to an end with round 23.

The round opened on Thursday night as Warrington Wolves secured a 22-6 derby win over Widnes Vikings.

A rapid start from the Wolves saw Matty Russell cross inside two minutes for 4-0 before Joe Mellor went over and Stefan Marsh converted for 4-6.

Warrington took control from there though with a first Wolves try for Peta Hiku followed by a score from former Vikings half Kevin Brown and second from Russell with Stefan Ratchford converting the lot.

Wigan ended their mixed regular season campaign with a 34-0 rout of weakened Leeds Rhinos on Friday's TV game.

Wigan got off the mark with two quick efforts from Michael McIlorum and Sam Tomkins coupled with a George Williams conversion for 10-0. Williams extended the lead with a try of his own for 14-0 into the interval.

A three minute brace from Oliver Gildart saw Williams convert the latter for 24-0. The win was wrapped up in the final ten minutes by a try from Tom Davies and a second for Williams with Sam Powell converting the latter.

Another of the top four suffered a nilling as Leigh Centurions claimed a 25-0 win over Salford Red Devils.

Leigh got off the mark inside ten minutes as Gregg McNally crossed with Josh Drinkwater converting before improving an effort from Atelea Vea for 12-0.

The hosts led 18-0 at the interval after a first try for the club from Samisoni Langi with Drinkwater converting.

The win was wrapped up late on by a Drinkwater drop goal for 19-0 before he improved a second try from McNally.

Friday's third game saw a tight game as Hull FC edged a 14-10 win over Huddersfield Giants.

FC struck first as Mark Minichiello crossed inside 15 minutes with Marc Sneyd converting for 6-0. Josh Bowden went over seven minutes later to extend the lead, Sneyd converted for 12-0.

Hudds cut the gap before half-time though as Darnell McIntosh and Jermaine McGillvary crossed for tries with Danny Brough converting the former for 12-10.

The second half was a tight one with just one score between the sides which came five minutes from the end as Sneyd converted a penalty goal to confirm the win.

Saturday afternoon saw Castleford Tigers come from behind to claims a  32-24 win over Catalans Dragons.

The visitors went ahead inside nine minutes as Jy Hitchcox crossed out wide with Luke Gale converting before adding a penalty goal for 0-8. Zak Hardaker extended the lead with a long range effort, Gale converting for 0-14.

A superb fightback from the Dragons saw Lucas Albert, Tony Gigot and Fouad Yaha cross in a 14 minute spree with Gigot converting the lot for 18-14 but Cas had the last say in the first half as Hardaker kicked a penalty for 18-16.

Cas regained the lead with a Greg Minikin try which Gale converted for 18-22 but Catalans hit back with a Vincent Duport effort which Gigot converted for 24-22. The Tiger are fabled for late comebacks and this was no different as Hitchcox claimed his second try and Paul McShane crossed in the final five minutes with Gale converting the former.

The round and the regular season itself came to an end on Sunday afternoon as St Helens strolled to a 41-16 win at Wakefield Trinity.

A rapid start from both sides saw Danny Richardson cross for Saints with Mark Percival converting with former Saint, Matty Ashurst crossing for the hosts with Liam Finn converting for 6-6.

Saints took control with efforts from James Roby, Tommy Makinson and Regan Grace with Percival  converting the lot for 6-24.

Wakefield responded two minutes after half-time through Scott Grix with Finn converting for 12-24.  Mason Caton-Brown cut the gap further on the hour for 16-24 but a brace of penalties from Percival made it 16-30 before late tries from Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Zeb Taia were converted by Percival with the final say going to Richardson who kicked a drop goal on the hooter.