Monday, 10 July 2017

Super League Round 21 Review

There are just two more rounds left of the Super League regular season after this weekend saw round 21, a round that saw two sides hit a half-century of points in comfortable wins.

Thursday's round opener saw a close-run city derby as Castleford Tigers edged a 25-24 win over Wakefield Trinity.

Trinity stunned the Tigers by leading 8-0 inside 15 minutes with a Ben Jones-Bishop try which Liam Finn converted before adding a penalty goal. Castleford. The hosts went on to become the first side nil the Tigers in a first half as they led 16-0 as Finn converted an effort from Kyle Wood and added a second penalty goal.

A superb fightback from Castleford saw them move into a 16-18 lead within 15 minutes of the restart as Greg Eden, Grant Millington and Mike McMeeken all crossed for tries which Luke Gale converted. Wakefield regained the lead through David Fifita on 69 minutes with Finn converting for 24-18. However, Cas drew level with just six minutes remaining as Jake Webster went over with Gale kicking for 24-24 before sealing the win with a drop goal in the final minute.

Friday saw two high scoring games away from the televised action which saw St Helens secure a 19-12 win over Hull FC.

A tight first half saw the hosts lead 8-6 having come from behind after a Jamie Shaul try and Marc Sneyd conversion saw FC lead 0-6 but a try from James Roby saw Marc Percival convert before adding a late penalty goal.

A self converted effort from Percival made it 14-6 within seven minutes of the restart but FC closed the gap to 14-12 with a try from Mahe Fonua and conversion from Sneyd  with 15 minutes left. Percival claimed his second try with an acrobatic finish for 18-12 but the last say went to Danny Richardson who's drop goal confirmed the win four minutes from the end.

Huddersfield Giants moved closer to securing their Super League status with a 40-0 hammering of Widnes Vikings.

The Giants stormed into an 18-0 lead inside 16 minutes as Shannon Wakeman, Jermaine McGillvary and Ryan Hinchcliffe all crossed for tries which Martyn Ridyard converted. The lead was 24-0 at the interval as Ridyard converted a try from Adam O'Brien after 36 minutes.

The game was over as a contest within 11 minutes of the restart as Darnell McIntosh went over and Ridyard converted for 30-0. The rout was completed by two scores in the final nine minutes as McGillvary claimed his second try ahead of a late effort from Ukuma Ta'ai which Ridyard converted to reach the 40 point mark.

Warrington Wolves continued their quest to avoid The Qualifiers as they eased to a 50-10 win over Leigh Centurions.

Early scores from Ryan Atkins and Ashton Sims saw Stefan Ratchford convert either side of a penalty goal for 14-0 before a seven minute brace from Tom Lineham coupled with a Ratchford conversion looked to have given the Wolves a 24-0 lead into half time but a self converted effort in the last minute of the half from Ben Renyolds made it 24-6 at the break.

Ben Pomeroy crossed within eight minutes of the restart with Ratchford converting for 30-6 before the win was wrapped up by two scores in three minutes after the hour, Lineham completed his hat-trick ahead of a Jack Hughes try with Ratchford converting for 40-6. Leigh stemmed the Wolves spree with a Matty Dawson try for 40-10 but a fourth for Lineham was followed late on by a Declan Patton score which Ben Westwood converted.

Saturday evening saw Wigan Warriors secure their Super League status with a 32-10 win over Catalans Dragons.

A tight first half in searing heat saw the Warriors lead 4-8 at the break after Joe Burgess crossed for a try which George Williams converted for 0-6 before Williams added a penalty goal on 29 minutes after Vincent Duport had made it 4-6.

The Dragons took the lead within eight minutes of the restart as Duport claimed his second try with Luke Walsh converting for 10-8. Wigan drew level with a penalty goal from Williams before taking control with a second try from Burgess and a self converted effort from Williams for 10-22. The win was confirmed late on as Sam Tomkins claimed his first try of the season ahead of a hat-trick try for Burgess with Williams converting both.

The final game of the round saw Leeds Rhinos claim a 50-24 win over Salford Red Devils on Sunday afternoon.

The hosts led 6-0 early on as Josh Wood crossed for his first senior try which Michael Dobson converted. Leeds levelled through a Ryan Hall try and Kallum Watkins conversion before Tom Briscoe and Matt Parcell crossed either side of a try for Watkins who converted twice for a 6-22 advantage. Further scores from Joel Moon and Jamie Jones-Buchanan and a second score from Briscoe saw Jordan Lilley add a conversion for a huge 6-36 lead at the interval.

Salford cut the gap with a Ben Murdoch-Masila try which Dobson converted for 12-36 before a Lilley penalty for 12-38. A self converted effort from Dobson was followed by a try from Anthony Mullally with Lilley converting for 18-44. Murdoch-Masila crossed for his second try which Dobson converted for 24-44 but the last say went to the Rhinos as Jack Walker crossed in the final minute with Lilley converting to bring up the 50 point mark.