Sunday, 11 June 2017

Super League Round 18 Review

Ahead of the Challenge Cup Quarter Finals, Super League reached round 18 which began with the Battle of the Borough on Thursday night as Leigh Centurions stunned Wigan Warriors 50-34.

Wigan went ahead inside four minutes through Liam Marshall for 0-4 before Leigh ran in three tries in ten minutes from former Warriors duo Danny Tickle and Ryan Hampshire and Lachlan Burr with Ben Renyolds converting for 18-4. Wigan cut the gap ahead of half-time as Josh Ganson and George Williams crossed with Marshall converting for 18-14 but a Renyolds penalty made it 20-14 into half-time.

Wigan moved to 20-18 behind within four minutes of the restart as Oliver Gildart went over but Leigh took control with three scores in ten minutes as Mitch Brown crossed ahead of a three minute brace from Liam Hood with Renyolds converting for 38-18. Frank-Paul Nuuausala cut the gap for the Warriors with Marshall converting for 38-24. Leigh reached the half century with tries from Cory Paterson and Matty Dawson with Renyolds ending with nine goals but Wigan were to have the last say.  A try from Joe Burgess was followed by a second for Ganson with Marshall converting the former.

Friday night's action began with Salford Red Devils falling to a 34-10 defeat to Hull FC.

Hull raced into a 0-22 lead before half-time as Fetuli Talanoa and Danny Washbrook crossed either side of a brace from Albert Kelly with Jake Connor all but the first try.

Salford got on the board within two minutes of the restart through Niall Evalds with Michael Dobson converting for 6-22. Carlos Tuimavave and Jamie Shaul went over to surely win the game for FC with Connor's conversions making it 6-34. Salford had the last say just after the hour as Weller Hauraki touched down. 

Friday's televised action saw St Helens claim a 26-10 win over Widnes Vikings.

A self converted try from Mark Percival and effort from Regan Grace gave the Saints a 10-0 lead into half-time. Widnes got off the mark nine minutes after the restart through Ryan Ince before scores from Alex Walmsley and Ryan Morgan put the Saints in control at 20-4.

Widnes reached double figures as Danny Craven scored a try which he converted for 20-10 but Saints had the last say as Theo Fages crossed with Percival converting.

Saturday's televised action saw Catalans Dragons hammered 56-12 by Huddersfield Giants.

An early treble from Aaron Murphy, Shannon Wakeman and Danny Brough saw Brough and Martyn Ridyard convert for 0-16. Catalans got off the mark on 26 minutes as Tony Gigot crossed with Luke Walsh converting for 6-16.

The Giants went into the interval leading 6-22 as Jake Mamo crossed late on with Ridyard converting. Brough claimed his second try within five minutes of the restart ahead of a second score from Mamo and an effort from Jermaine McGillvary, Ridyard converting twice for 6-38.

Mamo ran in twice in eight minutes to score his third and fourth tries with Ridyard converting both for a huge 6-50 advantage which was cut to 12-50 as Sam Moa touched down for the Dragons with Luke Walsh converting. The Giants had the last say on the scoreline as McGillvary claimed his second score as Ridyard ended the day with seven goals. 

Saturday evening saw Leeds Rhinos secure a narrow 18-16 victory over Wakefield Trinity.

Trinity opened up a 10-0 lead with scores from Mason Caton-Brown and Kyle Wood with Liam Finn converting the first effort. Leeds fought back with two scores in three minutes as Stevie Ward and Joel Moon touched down for 10-8

A two minute double on the hour saw Leeds take the lead as Briscoe claimed his second try ahead of a Joel Moon score which Liam Sutcliffe converted for 10-18. Wakefield set up a tight finish with a try from Ben Jones-Bishop which Finn converted for 16-18 but Leeds held on for the win.

The round ended on Sunday as Castleford Tigers increased their lead atop the standings with a 36-16 win over Warrington Wolves.

The Tigers raced into a 20-0 lead inside 16 minutes as Greg Eden crossed twice ahead of scores from Greg Minikin and Mike McMeeken with Luke Gale converting twice. Warrington ended the hosts' spree with a Tom Lineham try which Declan Patton converted for 20-6. Eden completed a 26 minute hat-trick with Gale converting for 26-6.

Eden crossed twice more with 12 minutes of the second half played for a quintet of tries with Gale converting the first for 36-6. Warrington cut the gap two minutes later through Joe Westerman with Patton converting for 36-12 before Jack Hughes had the last say on the score with eight minutes left.