Thursday, 8 June 2017

Super League Round 17 Review

After the Bank Holiday double weekend, Super League returned to the single round weekend with round 17.

The round opened on Friday night as Leeds Rhinos secured a 22-14 win over struggling Leigh Centurions.The Rhinos took an 8-0 lead inside 15 minutes with tries from Adam Cuthbertson and Tom Briscoe. 

 Leigh got off the mark through Matty Dawson for 8-4 before Joel Moon crossed for the hosts with Liam Sutcliffe converting for 14-4. The visitors cut the gap just before half-time as Dawson claimed his second try which Josh Drinkwater converted for 14-10.

A Sutcliffe penalty made it 16-10 within three minutes of the restart and the Rhinos went further ahead with Cuthbertson's second score which Sutcliffe converted for 22-10. Leigh had the last say as Cory Paterson crossed a minute from the end.

Saturday afternoon saw Hull FC defeat Wigan Warriors 39-26. The hosts stormed into a 24-0 inside the half hour mark as Steve Michael crossed inside the third minute before Mark Minichello and Danny Houghton sandwiched Michael's second score with Jake Connor converting the lot.

Wigan got off the mark through Tom Davies for 24-4 with Connor kicking a penalty in the final seconds of the half for 26-4.  Wigan cut the deficit with a Liam Marshall try four minutes after the restart before Lewis Tierney crossed with Marshall converting for 26-14.

Hull took control with scores from Jamie Shaul and Albert Kelly with Nick Rawsthorne both for 38-14. Wigan rallied back with a try from Joe Burgess before Kelly kicked a drop goal for 39-18 before second tries from Marshall and Davies cut the gap.

Huddersfield Giants stormed to a 44-4 win over Warrington Wolves on Sunday afternoon. The Giants led inside six minutes as Oliver Roberts crossed and Danny Brough converted for 6-0.

Jermaine McGillvary and Aaron Murphy crossed either side of the half hour mark for a 12-0 half-time lead. The lead was vastly improved within nine minutes as Paul Clough went over ahead of a debut try from Jordan Turner, Brough converting both for 24-0.

Warrington got off the mark five minutes later with a Tom Lineham try but it was to be only a minor dent in the Giants' charge as Jake Mamo scored ahead of second scores from McGillvary and Murphy with Brough converting the lot.

Wakefield Trinity extended their stay in the top four with a 34-24 win at Salford Red Devils.

A try from former Salford back Mason Caton-Brown inside six minutes saw Liam Finn convert for 0-6. Reece Lyne crossed for an 11 minute brace with Finn converting the latter for 0-16. Salford hit back just before half-time as Jake Bibby went over with Michael Dobson converting for 6-16.

Salford turned the game around before the hour mark as Craig Kopczak touched down ahead of a second score from Bibby, Dobson converting both for 18-16. Caton-Brown's second score improved by Finn regained the lead for Trinity but with eight minutes left a try from Lama Tasi converted by Dobson made it 24-22. Wakefield staged a late show to secure the win as Caton-Brown secured his hat-trick ahead of a score from James Batchelor with Finn converting both. 

Widnes Vikings continued their push to avoid the Middle 8s with a comfortable 26-6 win over Catalans Dragons.

The Dragons led inside eight minutes with a Sam Moa try and Luke Walsh conversion for 0-6. Widnes levelled with a try from Jack Buchanan with Rhys Hanbury converting for 6-6 before a self-converted effort from Hanbury made it 12-6, a lead that remained into the interval.

Corey Thompson crossed within four minutes of the restart before kicking two penalty goals after the hour mark for a 20-6 lead that was increased late on as Thompson converted an effort from Gil Dudson.

The final game of the round saw Castleford Tigers leave it late to secure a 16-12 win over St Helens.

Saints took the lead after 14 minutes as Mark Percival went over with Tommy Makinson converting for 0-6. Cas hit back with a debut try from Kieran Gill but Saints would go into half-time leading 4-12 as Louis McCarthy-Scarsbrook crossed and Makinson converted.

Cas cut the gap to just two points as Ben Roberts crossed with Paul McShane converting for 10-12 before completing the comeback nine minutes from end as Tom Holmes went over and McShane converted.