Sunday, 18 June 2017

Challenge Cup Quarter Finals/SL Rd 16 Cont Review

A slight break in the Super League schedule saw the Challenge Cup quarter finals played with the remaining game from Super League Round 16 also featuring this weekend.

The quarter finals began on Thursday night as Salford Red Devils moved into the last four with a 30-6 win over Wakefield Trinity.

Salford raced into a 12-0 lead inside 13 minutes as Ryan Lannon and Ben Murdoch-Masila crossed with Michael Dobson converting before adding a penalty for 14-0 on 22 minutes. Niall Evalds went over just before the interval with Dobson converting for an 18-0 lead at the break.

Further scores within nine minutes of the restart from Greg Johnson and Craig Kopczak saw a single Dobson conversion for 30-0. Wakefield had the last say on the score though as Liam Finn crossed for a try which he converted with eight minutes left.

Friday night's non-televised action saw Huddersfield Giants and St Helens play their re-arranged round 16 game with the Giants winning 24-16.

Hudds struck first  as Leroy Cudjoe touched down with Martyn Ridyard converting for 6-0 inside 13 minutes before a self-converted effort from Ridyard made it 12-0.

Saints cut the gap just before half-time as Luke Thompson crossed with Mark Percival converting for 12-6. Percival cut the gap to two with a try three minutes after the restart for 12-10.

The sides exchanged scores with Adam O'Brien (Ridyard conv) and Kyle Amor (Percival conv) crossing for 18-16 before the Giants sealed the win with four minutes left as Lee Gaskell went over with Ridyard converting.

Friday's televised action saw Leeds Rhinos ease to a 58-0 win over Championship side Featherstone Rovers.

A superb first 15 minutes saw the Rhinos lead 18-0 as Stevie Ward, Brett Ferres and Joel Moon crossed with Liam Sutcliffe converting.

Rovers did well to keep the Rhinos out after the early spree with just one more score coming before half-time as Ash Handley crossing and Sutcliffe converting for 24-0.

The game was over as a contest before the hour mark as Carl Ablett and Sutcliffe touched down ahead of a second Handley try with Sutcliffe converting the lot for a huge 36-0 lead. A four minute brace from Brad Singleton (Sutcliffe convs) was followed late on by a Ryan Hall try which Sutcliffe converted.

Saturday afternoon saw a stunning cup clash as Wigan Warriors edged a 27-26 win over Warrington Wolves.

Wigan opened up a 12-0 lead with a brace from Joe Burgess with George Williams converting. Warrington battled back with a brace from Ryan Atkins with Declan Patton converting to level at 12-12.Wigan regained the lead just before half-time as Liam Marshall touched down and Williams converted for 12-18. A penalty from Williams nine minutes after the restart made it 12-20.

However, Warrington again hit back as Andre Savelio went over with Patton converting before levelling with a penalty for 20-20. A John Bateman score saw Williams convert for a 20-26 lead before Sam Tomkins looked to have sealed the win with a drop goal for 20-27 with seven minutes left.

Warrington fought back again with Kurt Gidley crossing on 77 minutes with Patton converting for 26-27. Wigan blew the restart and Stefan Ratchford missed the resulting penalty but the Wolves had one more chance to avoid defeat in final seconds as Patton attempted a last-gasp drop goal but it sailed wide as Wigan claimed the win.

The final game of the round saw holders Hull FC continue their defence as they claimed a 32-24 win over Castleford Tigers.

FC raced into a 12-0 lead inside seven minutes as Carlos Tuimavave and Fetuli Talanoa crossed with Jake Connor converting. Castleford hit back with two tries in three minutes from Ben Roberts and Zak Hardaker with Luke Gale levelling with the boot for 12-12.

A penalty goal from Connor gave FC a 14-12 lead at half-time but another penalty within two minutes of the restart saw him kick for 16-12.

The Tigers went ahead for the first time just six minutes later as Roberts claimed his second try, Gale converting for 16-18. Hull regained the lead as Connor kicked two penalties in seven minutes for 20-18 but they looked to have sealed the win when Mahe Fonua and Jamie Shaul crossed in a three minute spell with Connor converting both for 32-18. Castleford set up a tense finale as Greg Minikin crossed, Gale converting for 32-24 with seven minutes to go but the Tigers were unable to close the gap as the holders moved to just two wins from retaining the trophy.