Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Super League Round 16 Review

The second double header of the season saw ten sides compete in Round 16 across Bank Holiday Monday.

Opening the review is the game I attended yesterday which saw Wigan Warriors suffer a 42-30 loss to Wakefield Trinity.

The Warriors raced into a 20-0 lead inside the first quarter of the game as James Worthington crossed for a debut try two minutes in before Lewis Tierney, Thomas Leuluai and Liam Marshall went over, George Williams converting twice.

Wakefield fought back superbly as Bill Tupou scored an 11-minute treble sandwiching a Mason Caton-Brown effort with Liam Finn converting three times for a 20-22 half-time lead.

Trinity took control with tries from Danny Kirmond and Anthony England with Finn converting both as well as a penalty goal in between for 20-36. Wigan hit back with a second score from Worthington, Marshall converting for 26-36. However, Wakefield were not to denied the win as a Jacob Miller effort converted by Finn on 70 minutes confirmed the win. Wigan had the last say on the score line as Marshall claimed his second try late on but it was to be a first win in eight seasons for Trinity at the DW Stadium.

Warrington Wolves' woes continued as they were beaten 38-12 by high-flying Salford Red Devils.

Salford raced into an 18-0 lead inside 24 minutes as Jake Bibby, Niall Evalds and Junior Sau crossed with Gareth O'Brien converting the lot. Brad Dwyer replied for the Wolves with Declan Patton converting but a second score from Sau made it 6-22 into half-time.

Sau completed his hat-trick within ten minutes of the restart with Evalds claiming his second score on the hour, O'Brien converting the latter for 6-32. A Tom Lineham try converted by Patton four minutes later made it 12-32 but it was in vain as Kriss Brining crossed five minutes from the end with O'Brien converting for a fifth time.

The last of the 3pm games saw a surprise results as Widnes Vikings stunned Leeds Rhinos with a 28-20 victory.

Ash Handley put the Rhinos ahead inside ten minutes for 0-4 before Widnes levelled through Rhys Hanbury, 4-4. Kallum Watkins restored the lead within three minutes with Liam Sutcliffe converting for 4-10 ahead of an effort from Stevie Ward for a 4-14 advantage.

A three minute double saw Ryan Ince and Corey Thompson cross for 12-14 into half-time. Widnes went ahead on the hour through Aaron Heremaia with Chris Bridge converting for 18-14. However, the lead lasted just six minutes as Adam Cuthbertson went over with Sutcliffe converting for 18-20. Widnes regained the lead with eight minutes to go as Ince claimed his second try with Bridge converting for 24-20 and unlike Friday's late slip at Castleford, they wrapped up a much needed win three minutes later with Thompson's second score.

Castleford Tigers continued their stay atop the standings with a 38-0 rout of Leigh Centurions.

A brace from Jesse Sene-Lefao and conversions from Luke Gale gave the Tigers a 0-12 lead with 23 minutes on the clock.

Leigh were stunned by a five minute hat-trick from Greg Eden just before half-time with Gale improving two efforts for a 0-28 advantage.

The Tigers winger scored his fourth within ten minutes of the restart before the rout was completed before the hour mark as Jake Webster crossed and Gale converted.

The final game of the day saw Catalans Dragons edge a 23-18 win over Hull FC.

The Dragons opened the scoring inside seven minutes as former FC forward Sam Moa crossed, Luke Walsh converting for 6-0. FC levelled with an Albert Kelly try which Jake Connor converted. Catalans edged ahead with a Walsh penalty for 8-6 before the Dragons half kicked a late drop goal for a 9-6 half-time lead.

The hosts' lead increased within four minutes of the restart with a Walsh penalty before a brace from Nick Rawsthorne saw Connor convert twice for an 11- 18 lead. The Dragons were not to suffer defeat though as Fouad Yaha and Tony Gigot crossed in the final ten minutes with Walsh converting both to confirm the victory.

Round 16 was incomplete due to the moving of the clash between Huddersfield Giants and St Helens due to Huddersfield Town's participation in the EFL Championship Play-Off Final so the game will now be played during the Challenge Cup Quarter Finals weekend with both sides having exited in earlier rounds.