Monday, 29 May 2017

Super League Round 15 Review

After a superb Magic Weekend up in Newcastle for round 14, Super League sides returned to hosting duties in round 15.

The round opened on Thursday night with as St Helens secured a 22-19 derby win over fierce rivals Wigan Warriors.Saints started superbly as Ryan Morgan crossed inside five minutes with Mark Percival converting for 6-0.

Wigan replied with tries from Tom Davies and Lewis TierneyGeorge Williams converting both either side of a penalty goal for a 6-14 lead. Saints cut the gap four minutes before half time through Zeb Taia, Percival converting for 12-14 into the interval.

The Warriors moved six clear just after the hour as Joe Burgess touched down for 12-18 but a self-converted try from Percival levelled at 18-18. Wigan went 18-19 ahead with a Thomas Leuluai drop goal with eight minutes to go but it was in vain as Percival went over for his second try late on to secure the win.

Friday night saw a quintet of games with a top vs bottom clash as Castleford Tigers came from behind to claim a 32-22 win over Widnes Vikings.

Cas opened the scoring through Greg Eden after 11 minutes before being hit back two Vikings scores in eight minutes as Ryan Ince and Jack Johnson crossed, Ed Chamberlain converting for a 4-12 lead. The hosts cut the gap just before the interval as Gadwin Springer went in, Luke Gale converting for 10-12.

Widnes took advantage within eight minutes of the restart Corey Thompson scoring ahead of Johnson's second try, Chamberlain converting once for 10-22. The Tigers battled back with a Greg Minikin score and Eden's second, Gale converting for 20-22. The comeback was completed in the final six minutes of the 80 as Eden completed his hat-trick ahead of an effort from Matt Cook, Gale converted both to confirm the win.

Hull FC suffered an upset as they slipped to a 26-22 loss to Leigh Centurions who claimed their first ever away success in Super League. An early try from Matty Dawson gave Leigh a 0-4 lead which was cancelled out by Jamie Shaul's effort.

Leigh regained the lead with Dawson's second try before Atelea Vea crossed, Ben Renyolds converting for a 4-14 lead that was cut to 10-14 just before the break as Carlos Tuimavave crossed and Marc Sneyd converted.

A self converted effort within five minutes of the restart from Renyolds put Leigh 10-20 ahead but a second Shaul score just three minutes later saw Sneyd convert for 16-22. A second try for Vea saw Renyolds convert for 16-26. FC set up a tense finish though as Albert Kelly crossed with five minutes left of the 80 with Sneyd converting for a four point game but Leigh held on for an historic win.

The televised game saw a blowout score as Leeds Rhinos eased to a 40-0 win over Warrington Wolves. The Rhinos went ahead with 14 minutes gone as Matt Parcell crossed, Liam Sutcliffe converted for 6-0 but was unable to improve his own effort on the half hour mark at 10-0 but made it 12-0 into the interval with a penalty goal.

Parcell's second try within four minutes of the restart was followed by a Jamie Jones-Buchanan score for 22-0 advantage. Warrington were out of the game as a contest just after the hour as Joel Moon touched down, Sutcliffe improved the score before adding a penalty for 30-0 lead. The rout was completed by Parcell crossing for his hat-trick ahead of a late try from Rob Burrow to bring up the 40 point mark.

Salford Red Devils continued their stay in the top two with a comfortable 50-12 victory over Catalans Dragons. The Red Devils raced into an 18-0 lead inside 22 minutes with scores from Gareth O'Brien, Josh Jones and Kris Welham all converted by Michael Dobson. 

Further scores before half-time saw Niall Evalds and Ryan Lannon crossing with Dobson converting the latter for a huge 28-0 half-time lead. Kriss Brining crossed to bring up the 30 point mark within two minutes of the restart before Vincent Duport got the Dragons on the board, Luke Walsh converting for 34-6.

Salford wrapped up the win with scores from Robert Lui, Olsi Krasniqi and Mark Flanagan with Dobson converting twice for 50-6. The Dragons did have the last say on the scoreline though as Fouad Yaha crossed in the final minute with Walsh converting.

The closest game of the weekend saw Wakefield Trinity edge a 28-26 win over Huddersfield Giants. Trinity raced out of the block with Ben Jones-Bishop touching down inside two minutes, Liam Finn converting for 6-0.

The Giants replied superbly with a trio of tries as Jake Mamo, Jermaine McGillvary and Lee Gaskell crossed in an 11-minute spree with Martyn Ridyard converting the lot for a 6-18 lead. However, Wakefield cut the gap to just 16-18 at the interval as Reece Lyne (Finn conv) and Danny Kirmond went over.

Dale Ferguson touched down within five minutes of the restart with Ridyard's conversion making it 16-24. A second try from Lyne (Finn conv) cut the gap to 22-24 before a Ridyard penalty made it 22-26 but Trinity would complete the comeback ten minutes from the end as Jones-Bishop claimed his second try to level at 26-26 with Sam Williams sealing the win with the resulting conversion.