Thursday, 11 May 2017

Super League Round 13 Review

Ahead of the sixth round of the Challenge Cup, Super League action reached round 13 and it proved to be a good weekend to be an away fan with all but one game won by the visiting team.

The round opened on Thursday night as Huddersfield Giants suffered a 26-21 loss to league leaders Castleford Tigers. The Tigers took the lead inside eight minutes through Joel Monaghan's try which Paul McShane converted for 0-6 .

Hudds hit back with a rapid brace from Jake Mamo with Danny Brough converting twice to give the hosts a 12-6 lead. Greg Minkin crossed (McShane conv) for 12-12. Mamo completed his hat-trick with Brough kicking for an 18-12 half-time advantage. 

Greg Eden (McShane conv) levelled at 18-18 before a Brough drop goal made it 19-18 and a McShane penalty goal turned the score around to 19-20. Cas were dealt a harsh blow nine minutes from the end as Jake Webster was sin-binned with Brough converting the resulting penalty for 21-20 but the 12 men battled to secure the win as Jesse Sene-Lefao crossed with McShane converting five minutes from the end.

Friday's non-televised action saw the youthful Wigan Warriors lose out 31-16 at home to Salford Red Devils. Both sides entered the game with a mass of absentees but the visitors had the edge experience wise and it paid off early as Kris Welham scored inside four minutes for 0-4.

Niall Evalds,Ben Murdoch-Masila registered efforts with Michael Dobson converting both for a 0-16 lead into the interval. Wigan's second half hopes were rapidly dented as Evalds crossed for a second time with Greg Johnson following, Dobson converted both for a huge 0-28 lead.

Wigan hit back with three scores as Tom Davies went over ahead of tries from Ryan Sutton and Lewis Tierney with debut kicker Josh Woods converting twice for 16-28. Salford were not to be denied their first win in 20 years in Wigan though as a drop goal from Gareth O'Brien saw him kick a penalty goal after being impeded to complete the victory.

The evening's televised game saw Warrington Wolves come from behind to secure a 40-18 win over St Helens. The Saints were swiftly in front as Adam Swift crossed after just 41 seconds with Tommy Makinson converting before adding a penalty goal on 13 minutes for 0-8. Ryan Morgan extended the lead on 27 minutes with Makinson converting for 0-14.

Warrington replied with scores from Ben Jullien and Mike Cooper with Harvey Livett converting for 12-14 into half time. The Wolves completed the turnaround within five minutes of the restart via a self-converted try from Livett before storming to a 36-14 lead on the hour with tries from Rhys Evans, Tom Lineham and Ryan Atkins with Livett converting the lot.

Saints ended the Wolves spree with a Dominique Peyroux try but the Wolves had the last say as Atkins crossed late on to bring up the 40 point mark.

Saturday's televised action saw Catalans Dragons suffer a last-gap 30-24 defeat to Leeds Rhinos.

The Dragons fell behind two minutes in as Liam Sutcliffe crossed and converted for 0-6. Tries from Louis Anderson and Julien Bousquet saw Tony Gigot convert both to give the hosts a 12-6 lead which became 16-6 after a score from Brayden Williame. Leeds cut the gap just before the interval as Stevie Ward touched down with Sutcliffe converting for 16-12 into half-time.

Remi Casty (Gigot conv) crossed on 52 minutes to move the Dragons to 22-12 but a superb last eight minutes from the Rhinos turned the game around. Adam Cuthbertson raced over ahead of a try from Rob BurrowSutcliffe converting both for a 22-24 advantage. A penalty goal from Gigot  on 78 minutes looked to have secured a 24-24 draw but the Rhinos had other ideas as Danny McGuire went over with just seconds remaining, Sutcliffe converting to confirm the victory.

Saturday's earlier action saw Leigh Centurions' losing run continue as they were defeated 40-26 by Wakefield Trinity. Trinity raced into an 0-20 lead, Jacob Miller and Danny Kirmond crossed ahead of a long range try from Recce Lyne with Liam Finn converting all three as well as a penalty goal.

Leigh replied with two scores in four minutes as Curtis Naughton and Jamie Acton touched down with Josh Drinkwater converting for 12-20. Finn made it a ten point game with a penalty goal for 12-22 before Matty Dawson crossed either side of half-time to cut the gap to 20-22.

A second try from Naughton saw Drinkwater convert to give the hosts the lead at 26-22 but a sin-binning for Danny Tickle proved to be costly for Leigh as Wakefield crossed three times during his ten minute sidelining as Joe Arundel and Mason Caton-Brown went over ahead of a second score from Kirmond with Finn converting the lot to bring up the 40 point mark and round off the win.

The round ended on Sunday as Widnes Vikings were stunned by a resilient Hull FC who came from 22-0 down to claim a 33-22 win. Widnes opened up a 10-0 lead inside ten minutes with tries from Chris Houston and Rhys Hanbury with Tom Gilmore converting the latter.

They were in control with half-time looming as Patrick Ah Van crossed for a brace with Gilmore converting both for 22-0. Hull avoided a first half whitewash though as Jansin Turgut crossed in the final minute for 22-4.

FC had the perfect start to the second half as Jamie Shaul crossed within a minute of the restart with Marc Sneyd converting for 22-10.

The visitors completed a stunning turnaround with a three try blitz in the space of eight minutes as Carlos Tuimavave and Albert Kelly crossed ahead of a second score from Shaul, Sneyd converted all three for 22-28 before kicking a drop goal in the next set for 22-29. FC confirmed the win and rounded off the superb comeback late on with a try from Danny Washbrook