Tuesday, 2 May 2017

Super League Round 12 Review

After a shorter programme due to the Challenge Cup, Super League resumed to the six game weekend at round 12.

Thursday's round opener saw a Yorkshire derby between Leeds Rhinos and Huddersfield Giants.

The hosts led through Matt Parcell's 14th minute try which Kallum Watkins converted before Jake Mamo crossed for Hudds with Danny Brough converting to level at 6-6.Kruise Leeming crossed for Hudds before Joel Moon replied for Leeds, both tries were converted for 12-12 into the interval.

Hudds took control in the second half as Dale Ferguson and Darnell McIntosh registered efforts with Brough converting both before adding a drop goal for 12-25. The victory was complete ten minutes from the end as Brough converted Oliver Roberts' effort for 12-31.

Friday's non-televised action saw a local battle as St Helens hosted Leigh Centurions.

Leigh went ahead inside eight minutes with a try from Jamie ActonBen Renyolds converted for 6-6. Saints replied through Marc Percival and Theo Fages with Percival converting twice for a 12-6 lead into the interval.

The hosts took control in the second half with tries either side of the hour mark from Ryan Morgan and Regan Grace to open up a 22-6 lead.

The win was wrapped up ten minutes from the end as Alex Walmsley crossed and Percival converted for 28-6.

Fridays Sky game saw last seasons Challenge Cup finalists face off as Hull FC hosted Warrington Wolves. A rapid start from the hosts saw Jake Connor and Mahe Fonua cross with Marc Sneyd converting for a 12-0 lead which was cut within ten minutes. Tries from Matty Russell and former FC forward Joe Westerman saw just a single conversion from Declan Patton which left the score at 12-10. Hull went into the interval 14-10 ahead after a Sneyd penalty goal.

The Black and Whites had the game won by the hour as Jamie Shaul & Albert Kelly crossed, Sneyd converting both as well as a penalty goal for 28-10. The final say came with five minutes left as Kelly claimed his second try which Sneyd improved for a 34-10 final score.

Saturday's action saw league leaders Castleford Tigers looking to claim a double over champions Wigan Warriors. The Tigers raced into a 14-0 lead inside 18 minutes with a try inside the first minute from Adam Milner followed by a Michael Shenton effort and conversions and a penalty goal from Luke Gale.  Wigan replied through Sam Powell for 14-4 but from there Cas ran riot.

Tries from Matt Cook and Mike McMeeken made for a 26-4 half-time lead but after having Frank-Paul Nuuausala sin-binned early in the first half, the second half saw Morgan Escare carded and Cas took advantage with tries from Greg Minikin, Gale and Grant Millington in a six minute period with Gale converting twice. Jake Webster crossed to extend the lead before Minikin claimed his second score nine minutes from the end with Paul McShane converting to complete a 54-4 rout.

The third local game of the round saw high flying Salford Red Devils hosting bottom side Widnes Vikings. Salford opened the scoring on 21 minutes through Ben Murdoch-Masila with Michael Dobson converting for 6-0 before improving Greg Johnson's try five minutes later.

The 12-0 lead lasted until half-time but Widnes hit back within three minutes of the restart with a self-converted try from Tom Gilmore for 12-6. Salford regained their 12 point gap with a try from Niall Evalds which Dobson improved for 18-6.

Patrick Ah Van cut the gap for the visitors to 18-10 before a second score from Murdoch-Masila and first senior try from Jake Bibby in the final ten minutes saw Dobson convert once for a 30-10 victory.

The final game of the weekend saw Wakefield Trinty host Catalans Dragons. The hosts went behind on 16 minutes as Vincent Duport crossed for the Dragons with Luke Walsh converting for a 0-6 lead.

Wakefield turned the game around late in the first half as MasonCaton-Brown scored ahead of an effort from Ben Jones-Bishop for 8-6. Caton-Brown claimed his second try within three minutes of the restart before Fouad Yaha cut the gap on 50 minutes for 12-10.

 A hat-trick try from Caton-Brown was followed by Jones-Bishop's second score and a try from Craig Huby with Liam Finn converting the lot to confirm a 30-10 win.