Tuesday, 2 May 2017

Challenge Cup Round Five Review

The fifth round was the final stage before the final influx of teams in the form of the Super League top eight and it saw some surprise exits.

The round opened with Leeds Rhinos easing to a 64-28 win over League One side Doncaster on Friday night.  Leeds started superbly with tries from Ash Handley, Rob Burrow and Mitch Garbutt inside 11 minutes with Kallum Watkins converting twice for 16-0.

Doncaster hit back through Kieran Cross for 16-4 but Leeds resumed their control with Danny McGuire (Watkins conv) scoring ahead of a 12 minute hat-trick for Jack Walker and late try for Garbutt with Watkins converting thrice for 44-4 at the interval. Jordan Lilley crossed seven minutes after the restart for the hosts before Ryan Wright quelled the spree with Tommy Carr converting but soon after Burrow brought up 50 points at 52-10.

A mini revival from the Dons saw Louis Sheriff and Charlie Martin cross with Carr converting the latter for 52-20. Leeds edged towards 60 points with a Mikolaj Oledzki try and Lilley conversion but the Dons were not out of the scoring yet as Ky Kesik crossed ahead of a second for Sheriff for 58-28. The last say went to the hosts with Joel Moon crossing and Lilley converting two minutes from the end.

The first surprise of the round came on Saturday as Leigh Centurions were beaten 23-10 by last season's relegated side Hull Kingston Rovers.

Rovers opened the scoring through Ryan Shaw inside three minutes with Jamie Ellis converting for 6-0 before George Lawler crossed for 10-0 with ten minutes played. Leigh replied through Lachlan Burr and Curtis Naughton in a three minute period with Ben Renyolds converting the former for 10-10.

James Greenwood crossed just before half-time with Ellis converting for a 10-16 advantage at the interval. The score would remain close until nine minutes from the end when Ellis kicked a drop goal for 10-17 but a second score for Shaw saw Ellis convert late on to confirm the win.

Salford Red Devils avoided a huge upset as they came from behind to win 29-22 against League One side Toronto Wolfpack.The hosts struck 13 minutes in through Kris Welham with Michael Dobson converting for 6-0 but Toronto rapidly hit back with Liam Kay and Quentin Laulu-Togagae crossing with Craig Hall converting both for 6-12.

Greg Johnson (Dobson conv ) crossed for 12-12 before the hosts had Justin Carney sent off and the visitors took instant advantage with a debut try from Ryan Brierley but the 12 men would lead at the interval as Johnson claimed his second try which Dobson converted for 18-16.

A try for Dobson seven minutes after the restart made it 22-16 before a self converted effort from Gareth O'Brien on 68 minutes and drop goal four minutes later looked to have wrapped up the win at 29-16. Toronto did have the last say though with Fui Fui Moimoi crossing and Hall converting in the final minute.

The biggest upset of the round came at the John Smith's Stadium as Huddersfield Giants were dumped out 28-24 by Championship side Swinton Lions. The Giants struck the opening score on eight minutes through Aaron Murphy with Izaac Farrell converting for 6-0 before tries from Shaun Robinson & Rhodri Lloyd (Chris Atkin conv) put the Lions ahead at 6-10.

Hudds bounced back with two scores in three minutes from Sam Wood and Darnell McIntosh (Farrell convs) for 18-10 but the gap would be cut to two points at 18-16 at the interval after Mike Butt (Atkin conv) crossed.

Swinton regained the lead via Connor Dwyer's effort which Atkin improved but the lead changed hands again after the hour as Oliver Roberts crossed and Farrell converted for 24-22. However, Swinton stunned their hosts two minutes from the end as Luke Waterworth crossed with Chris Hankinson converting to complete the upset.

An all Championship battle saw Dewsbury Rams edge a 23-22 win over Batley Bulldogs. The visitors raced into the lead just five minutes in with Mac Hallett's try for 0-4 but the Rams levelled on 10 minutes through Josh Guzdek for 4-4.

A second try for Hallett swifly followed by a Tom Lillycrop effort saw Cain Southernwood converting both for 4-16. Dewsbury battled back with an effort from Paul Sykes ahead of Guzdek's second try with Sykes converting the latter for 14-16.

The Rams went ahead just before the hour as Aaron Brown crossed with Sykes converting before adding a penalty goal for 22-16. Dom Brambani crossed to cut the gap before Southernwood kicked a late penalty for 22-22. The match went to extra time and an 84th minute drop goal from Lewis Fairhurst sealed the win for the Rams.

Another all Championship tie saw Featherstone Rovers ease to a 30-4 win over Oldham Roughyeds. Fev led 10-0 inside 20 minutes with tries from Josh Hardcastle and Richard Moore with Cory Aston converting the first try.

The lead lasted past half-time until Scott Turner got Oldham on the board four minutes after the interval.

Fev wrapped up the win with a spree either side of the hour mark as Ian Hardman and James Lockwood went over ahead of a second try from Hardcastle with Aston converting twice for 26-4. The final score saw John Davies cross for the hosts with eight minutes left.

League One side Whitehaven exited the competition after a 12-36 loss to Championship side Halifax. Fax went ahead with an effort from Adam Tangata on 17 minutes before James Saltonstall crossed four minutes later with Steve Tyrer converting both for 0-12.

Haven got off the mark through Elliot Miller with Paul Crook converting for 4-12 but Fax would end the first half in style with scores from James Woodburn-Hall & Shaun Grady (Tyrer convs) to lead 4-24.

Ben Kaye's (Tyrer conv) effort on 67 minutes sealed the win but Haven hit back five minutes left through Jesse Joe Parker (Crook conv) but Kaye's second score and resulting conversion from Tyrer late on completed the win.

The final tie of the round saw an all League One battle as York City Knights lost out 50-28 to Barrow Raiders. A rapid opening from the Raiders saw Declan Hulme score inside five minutes with Lewis Charnock converting for 0-6. David Foggin-Johnston replied for the hosts with Harry Tyson-Wilson levelling with the conversion at 6-6.

A two minute brace from Shane Toal (Charnock conv) put Barrow 6-16 ahead before York scored through Nev Morrison and Joe Porter (Tyson-Wilson convs) either side of a Luke Cresswell effort for the Raiders.

James Haynes scored a brace within 12 minutes of the restart but Cresswell raced over for his hat-trick with efforts either side of a self-converted treble for Toal (20-44). A late flurry saw Creswell claim his fourth try before a rapid double in the final minutes from Nathan Mossop and Tom Walker with Cresswell adding a conversion to complete the rout.