Wednesday, 12 April 2017

Super League Round Eight Review

Ahead of the packed Easter double, round eight proved to be an exciting one with three sides scoring 30 points or more and a good weekend for travelling fans with three away victories.

Thursday night saw Wigan Warriors hosting league leaders Castleford Tigers at the DW Stadium and the Tigers extended their stay atop the standings with a 27-10 victory.

Castleford went ahead after 24 minutes as Jake Webster and Luke Gale crossed in the space of two minutes with Gale converting both before adding a penalty goal on 31 minutes for 0-14. Wigan hit back before the interval as Morgan EscarĂ© scored five minutes before half-time for 4-14. The Tigers wasted no time in adding to their lead as Jesse Sene-Lefao touched down three minutes after the restart, Gale converting for 4-20.

Wigan cut the gap as Escaré claimed his second try and converted the effort for 10-20 but there was no further comeback as Greg Eden's long range intercept try sealed the win with Gale converting before kicking a drop goal to add a gloss to the victory.

Friday's televised action came from the Halliwell Jones Stadium as Warrington Wolves looked to secure their first win of the season against the visiting Leeds Rhinos.

A superb start from Leeds saw Tom Briscoe open the scoring inside two minutes for 0-4 before a brace from Ryan Atkins and successful conversions from Declan Patton gave the Wolves a 12-4 advantage into half-time.

Tom Lineham (Patton conv) crossed to extend the lead within three minutes of the restart for 18-4 but Leeds were to stage a comeback with efforts from Matt Parcell and Joel Moon either side of the hour mark with Kallum Watkins converting the latter for 18-14.

Warrington were not to be denied their first win though as Kurt Gidley touched down on 68 minutes with Patton converting before the young half swept over a drop goal late on for a 25-14 win.

The biggest shock of the round came at the KCOM Stadium as Hull FC were humbled 54-18 by Salford Red Devils.

The hosts opened the scoring just five minutes in as Steve Michaels touched down with Marc Sneyd converting before kicking a penalty goal for 8-0. Salford batttled back with a try from Robert Lui which Michael Dobson converted for 8-6 but Salford completed the comeback superbly with four tries in 15 minutes as Greg Johnson struck a brace either side of a double for Craig Kopczak and a try from Junior Sa'u with conversions from Dobson (2) and Gareth O'Brien for a huge 8-30 lead.

However. Salford were not done in the first half as Justin Carney touched down just before the interval for 8-34. Hull hit back with a try from Jamie Shaul and second score from Michaels with Jake Connor converting the former for 18-34. Salford resumed their scoring prowess with a self-converted score from Dobson before George Griffin and Ben Murdoch-Masila's efforts breached the 50 point mark with O'Brien converting both to confirm a 54-18 triumph.

Leigh Centurions' good start to the season suffered a blow as they were defeated 37-24 by Catalans Dragons at Leigh Sports Village.

An early penalty goal from Ben Renyolds put the hosts ahead before Catalans stormed into 2-28 lead inside 22 minutes with a quintet of tries which began with Iain Thornley and Brayden Wiliame crossing inside the opening ten minutes, Luke Walsh converted the latter before improving scores from Krisnan Inu, Louis Anderson and Richie Myler. Leigh stemmed the spree with a Curtis Naughton (Renyolds conv) five minutes before the interval.

Dayne Weston (Renyolds conv) ensured it was back-to-back scores for the hosts within four minutes of the restart but their was no further ocmeback until late on as after Tony Gigot (Walsh conv) crossed, Gregg McNally and Sam Hopkins touched down with Renyolds converting both either side of a drop goal from Walsh at 26-37.

The closest game of the round saw St Helens and Huddersfield Giants share the points in a 14-14 draw at Totally Wicked Stadium.

The Saints raced into a 14-0 lead in the first half with a brace from Theo Fages and effort from Adam Swift with Marc Percival converting once.

Huddersfield took until the hour mark to cut the gap as Darnell McIntosh crossed before scoring a second try on 70 minutes which Danny Brough converted for 14-10.

The comeback was complete three minutes from the end as Sam Wood crossed for 14-14.

Widnes Vikings poor start to the season continued as they suffered a 30-4 defeat to Wakefield Trinity at Beaumont Legal Stadium.

The hosts struck the opening try inside two minutes through Bill Tupou before Tom Johnstone crossed for 8-0 in the 15th minute. Widnes hit back with an effort from Corey Thompson for 8-4 but would go into the interval 12-4 behind after Dean Hadley's 32nd minute try.

Scott Grix extended Trinity's lead nine minutes after the restart with Liam Finn converting for 18-4. Widnes were helpless to deny the hosts from claiming victory as Hadley claimed his second score ahead of a try from Craig Huby with Finn converting both to complete the 30-4 triumph.