Thursday, 23 February 2017

Super League Round 11 Pt 1/ World Club Series Review

A slight break in Super League action with only last season's bottom three and newly promoted Leigh Centurions playing with their Round 11 games brought forward due their entry into the Challenge Cup at that time. The weekend saw a World Club Series game ahead of the World Club Challenge.

Thursday night saw Huddersfield Giants hosting Salford Red Devils at the John Smith's Stadium. The visitors opened the scoring with a penalty goal from Gareth O'Brien inside eight minutes before Jermaine McGillvary responded for 4-2.

Junior Sa'u crossed for the visitors' first try with O'Brien converting ahead of adding a penalty goal for 4-10 into half-time. A rapid restart saw O'Brien cross and convert before a brace from Alex Mellor (Brough conv) cut the gap to 14-16.

A second converted try from O'Brien followed before Ukuma Ta'a crosssed with Danny Brough converting for 20-22. Salford sealed the points with a try from Josh Jones ahead of O'Brien converting and adding a penalty goal for a personal haul of 22 points in the 20-30 victory.

Friday night saw newly promoted Leigh Centurions play their first Super League game at Leigh Sports Village as they welcomed Leeds Rhinos.

A superb start for Leigh saw Matty Dawson cross for the opening try on five minutes before Mitch Brown increased the lead to 8-0. Leeds battled back with two rapid scores as Adam Cuthbertson and Ryan Hall crossed with Liam Sutcliffe converting the former for 8-10.

The Rhinos went into half-time 8-15 ahead with Jimmy Keinhorst crossing for a try followed by a long range drop goal from Sutcliffe.

Sutcliffe made it 8-17 with a penalty goal on the hour mark but Leigh forced a tight finish with a Ben Crooks effort converted by Ben Renyolds for a 14-17 final score.

Saturday evening saw Warrington Wolves host NRL side Brisbane Broncos at the Halliwell Jones Stadium, The Wolves raced out of the blocks with Kevin Brown crossing for a try inside two minutes, Declan Patton converted before adding a penalty goal for 8-0.

Ryan Atkins and Matty Russell extended the lead with Patton converting for 20-0. Brisbane got off the mark with a try from Corey Oates, Jordan Kahu converting for 20-6 but Warrington ended the half on top with an effort from Tom Lineham (24-6).

The Broncos cut the gap within four minutes of the restart through James Roberts (Kahu conv) before Patton kicked a drop goal and penalty goal for 27-12. The final say went to the Broncos as David Mead crossed with Kahu converting for 27-18 but it was not enough to deny the Wolves from putting Super League 1-0 up in the series.

The final game of the weekend saw Super League champions Wigan Warriors host NRL premiers Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at the DW Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Wigan flew out of the blocks with an opening try inside four minutes from Joe Burgess who went in for his second on 23 minutes, Morgan Escare converting for 10-0. 

Oliver Gildart extended the lead five minutes after half-time (Escare conv) before the Sharks got off the mark with an effort from Jesse Ramien which James Maloney converted for 16-6. 

The final say went to Burgess who completed his hat-trick two minutes from the end with Escare converting for a 22-6 success. The final hooter sounded to joy from the home crowd as the Warriors celebrated claiming a fourth World Club Challenge triumph and in doing so completed a 2-0 series win for Super League.