Thursday, 22 September 2016

The Qualifiers Round Six Review

Salford Stunned By Brilliant Broncos

London Broncos kept up their hopes of reaching the Million Pound Game with a superb 19-16 win against a Salford Red Devils who are still in danger of losing their Super League status. 

London opened the scoring with a clever run of play seeing William Barthau race clear to score for 0-4. George Griffin crossed to draw the hosts level with Gareth O'Brien converting for a 6-4 lead. However, the Broncos went into the interval ahead as Scott Leatherbarrow crossed with two minutes left of the half with Jamie Soward converting for 6-10 at the break.

Soward extended the Broncos lead with a self-converted try just before the hour mark before kicking a penalty goal to open up an 6-18 advantage. The lead soon became 6-19 with a Barthau drop goal leaving Salford in trouble with ten minutes to go. The Red Devils rallied for a late comeback with Josh Griffin running in two tries in as many minutes with O'Brien converting just one of the two attempts as London held on for a famous victory. 

Centurions Cruise Against Battling Bulldogs

Leigh Centurions celebrated their promotion to Super League with a comfortable 42-24 win at home to Batley Bulldogs. 

The Bulldogs took a surprise lead through Dave Scott after just nine minutes with Pat Walker converting for 0-6. Leigh replied with efforts from Fui Fui Moimoi and Adam Higson with Lee Smith converting both for a 6-12 lead. Alistair Leak crossed as the visitors levelled at 12-12 before tries from Cory Paterson and Lewis Foster saw Smith convert for a 24-12 lead at the interval. 

The hosts took control with an effort from Travis Burns within six minutes of the restart before stretching the lead just after the hour mark as Willie Tonga crossed for 36-12. Keegan Hirst stemmed the Leigh charge with a try nine minutes from the end while Dayne Weston went over to put the hosts past the 40 point mark at 42-18. The final say on the scoreline went to the visitors as Wayne Reittie touched down in the final minute with Walker converting for a fourth time. 

Robins Win Battle of the Rovers

Hull Kingston Rovers held on to deny a rallying Featherstone Rovers comeback to edge closer to retaining their Super League status with a 32-24 win. 

The hosts took a surprise leas on nine minutes through Josh Walters with Kyle Briggs converting for 6-0 before a try from Josh Mantellato cut the gap to 6-4. James Duckworth crossed to restore Fev's lead with Briggs converting before adding a penalty goal for 12-4. The Robins went into the interval ahead through as Shaun Lunt touched down ahead of a last-gasp effort from Mantellato who converted both for 12-16. 

A rapid brace from Thomas Minns saw the Robins move to a 12-26 lead with James Greenwood crossing just after the hour mark to bring up the 30 point mark. Featherstone's comeback was spearheaded by Misi Taulapapa as he scored a six minute brace to cut the gap to eight points with 12 minutes to go. However, the Robins managed to stem the fight back and hold on for the win. 

Giants Glory As Leeds Lose

Huddersfield Giants boosted their hopes of avoiding the Million Pound Game with a 22-14 over neighbours Leeds Rhinos. 

The Giants led 6-0 early on after a Leroy Cudjoe opening try and penalty goal from Danny Brough with Brough later adding a second penalty for 8-0 on the half hour mark. Leeds went into the break 14-0 down as Ryan Brierley crossed for a 35th minute try which Brough improved. 

Leeds needed a huge fightback to maintain their perfect record in the series but a self-converted effort from Brough just eight minutes after the restart left the Rhinos with a 20-0 deficit to overturn. They began to cut the gap through Adam Cuthbertson just before the hour mark with Liam Sutcliffe converting for 20-6. 

Tom Briscoe crossed just two minutes later to cut the gap to 20-10 but another Brough penalty gave the Giants a two score lead at 22-10. Leeds hit back with five minutes to go through Ash Handley but were unable to post further scores as the Giants ended their 100% record.