Sunday, 4 September 2016

The Qualifiers Round Four Review

Rhinos Rout Red Devils

Leeds Rhinos eased to a 30-8 win over fellow Super League side Salford Red Devils at Headingley on Friday night. 

The hosts started superbly with Jamie Jones-Buchanan crossing for the opening try inside five minutes which Liam Sutcliffe converted for 6-0.Salford replied within minutes as George Griffin crossed with Gareth O'Brien levelling with the boot for 6-6. O'Brien added a penalty seven minutes before the interval but the Rhinos led at the interval with a late effort from Kallum Watkins for 10-8.

Jordan Lilley extended the lead with a penalty on 53 minutes before tries from James Segeyaro and Carl Ablett saw Lilley convert for a huge 24-8 lead. The gloss on a superb home win came two minutes from the end as Adam Cuthbertson crossed to complete the rout. 

Giants Gut Battered Broncos

Huddersfield boosted their campaign with a comfortable 40-4 win over London Broncos at the John Smith's Stadium. 

The Broncos took a surprise lead with Rhys Williams crossing in the 18th minute for 0-4 before the Giants replied through Jermaine McGillvary with Danny Brough converting for a 6-4 lead which was 10-4 at the interval after Leroy Cudjoe's effort.

Huddersfield extended their lead within two minutes of the restart through Joe Wardle for 16-4 before a second try from Cudjoe was followed by efforts from Michael Lawrence and Brough who converted the lot for 34-4. The gloss on a superb home performance came on 75 minutes as Aaron Murphy crossed with Brough bringing up the 40 point mark with the boot. 

Robins Rocked By Charging Centurions

Leigh Centurions continued their perfect record in The Qualifiers with a superb 25-18 win over Hull Kingston Rovers in torrential rain at the KC Lightstream Stadium.

The Robins suffered a blow before the news of Albert Kelly's suspension but they made a superb start as Josh Mantellato kicked them into a 2-0 lead with a fourth minute penalty. Ken Sio crossed for the first try of the afternoon within two minutes for 6-0 before Mantellato crossed for a try of his own for a 10-0 lead inside 12 minutes in the torrid conditions. Leigh fought back with a try from Sam Hopkins just second after he came off the bench with Martyn Ridyard converting for 12-6, a score that lasted into the interval.

Leigh staged a superb comeback early in the second half with Andrew Dixon, Matty Dawson and Josh Drinkwater all crossing for tries within 12 minutes of the restart with Ridyard converting twice for a 12-22 lead.  Matty Marsh cut the gap to 18-22 with 14 minutes to go but the win was sealed for the Centurions with 77 minutes on the clock as Ridyard swept over a drop goal which puts Leigh in a great position to seal a place in next year's Super League. 

Bulldogs Edge Rovers

The final game of the round saw Batley Bulldogs claim their first win of the campaign with a narrow 11-10 win over Featherstone Rovers on Sunday afternoon. 

The hosts opened the scoring through Wayne Reittie after just ten minutes before Luke Briscoe levelled for Rovers just five minutes later for 4-4.  James Duckworth crossed to put the visitors 4-8 ahead before a last-gasp drop goal from Dom Brambanu made it 5-8 into the interval.

A penalty goal apiece before the hour mark saw the score move to 7-10 before Reittie's second try six minutes from the end sealed the win.