Wednesday, 21 September 2016

Super 8s Round Six Review

FC's Fonua Denies Battling Trinity

Hull FC kept up their hopes of claiming top spot as they overcame a battling Wakefield side with a 18-12 win at Belle Vue.

A mixed start from both sides in the first ten minutes before Fetuli Talanoa was sent to the sin-bin for a professional foul on Tom Johnstone. Wakefield made them pay within two minutes as Craig Hall's kick out wide found Joe Arundel who crossed for the opening try of the evening and Liam Finn converted for 6-0.

Just before the half hour mark, FC had an effort from Jamie Shaul denied by the video ref after superb defence from Craig Hall denied him. Finn extended the lead to 8-0 with a penalty goal on 33 minutes but Hull hit back four minutes before half-time through former Wakefield forward Danny Washbrook with Marc Sneyd converting for 8-6 into the interval.

A mixed start to the second half from both sides saw the hosts go close before Jordan Thompson put the visitors ahead on 53 minutes with Sneyd converting for 8-12. Wakefield were denied a try for a controversial offside from Liam Finn but a superb diving effort from Johnstone levelled for 12-12 on 63 minutes after video confirmation but Finn was unable to convert.

FC went ahead with nine minutes left to go as Mahe Fonua touched down out wide with Sneyd converting for 12-18. Wakefield had a great chance late on with a superb overlap but a poor pass saw the move wasted and FC had a chance of their own to increase the lead on the hooter but Sneyd was unable to convert.

Wire Face LLS Wait As Wigan Wonder

A stunning comeback from 12 man Wigan Warriors secured a 35-28 win against Warrington Wolves who face a wait to claim the League Leaders Shield. 

The game saw a superb start as Wigan took a surprise lead as Lewis Tierney crossed out wide for 0-4 before Matty Smith added two penalty goals in the remainder of the first quarter for an 0-8 lead. Warrington hit back with tries from Matty Russell, Kurt Gidley and Chris Hill to turn the game around just before the interval with Declan Patton converting twice for a 16-8 advantage. Wigan went into half-time just two points behind at 16-14 after a last-gasp effort from Sam Tomkins which Smith converted.

Joe Westerman crossed within five minutes of the restart with Patton kicking to restore the Wolves' eight point lead before Ben Currie went over five minutes later for a huge 28-14 advantage. Wigan's hopes of a comeback were dealt a blow just before the hour mark with the dismissal of Ben Flower but rather than hinder the Warriors, the loss of the forward inspired them. Two tries in four minutes from Josh Charnley saw the 12 men close 28-24 before a controversial second effort from Tierney was awarded via referral to level at 28-28. 

Warrington fell behind with four minutes left on the clock as Smith kicked Wigan 28-29 ahead with a drop goal and the gloss on a stunning comeback from Wigan saw Anthony Gelling intercept a Wolves attack on halfway to race clear and score with Jake Shorrocks converting to confirm a famous victory. 

Tigers Hold On To Deny Dragons

Castleford Tigers kept up their hopes of finishing fifth as they survived a superb fightback from Catalans Dragons to claim a 34-28 win.

Although neither side could reach the top four, there was certainly no lack of intensity early on with battling sets in attack and defence. The Tigers opened the scoring with a clever move as Ryan Hampshire swept the ball out to the wing for Paddy Flynn to race over, Luke Gale converting for a 0-6 lead. Catalans hit back within four minutes as Olivier Elima crossed with Tony Gigot levelling at 6-6.

Castleford tricked the hosts from the restart by claiming the kick and went on to score through Denny Solomona whose effort saw him draw level with the legendary Lesley Vainikolo's record of 36 tries in a regular season.

Gale improved the score for 6-12 before a piece of history as Solomona claimed his second try and in doing so became the highest scorer in a regular season with 37 tries, again Gale kicked the extras for a 6-18 lead inside 23 minutes. Ben Crooks extended the lead with eight minutes left of the first half before a battling effort from Glenn Stewart on 36 minutes sent the sides into the interval at 10-24.

The Tigers charge resumed within three minutes of the restart as Crooks claimed his second try of the afternoon with Gale converting to bring up the 30 point mark at 10-30 before Flynn got in on the act of braces with his second score with Gale unable to convert for the first time at 10-34.

Catalans went down to 12 on the hour mark with the sin-binning of Ben Garcia but managed to cut the gap after a superb dash from Vincent Duport saw him denied just before the line but on the next play, Eloi Pelissier crossed, Gigot converted for 16-34. The Dragons comeback continued just over a minute later as Louis Anderson cut the gap further, Gigot kicking them to 22-34.

A frantic finish for the hosts as after a video referral, Richie Myler was awarded a superb try which Gigot improved for 28-34 with just four minutes to go. Gale attempted two drop goals in the final three minutes to try and confirm the win as the Dragons rallied but they were not needed as the Tigers held on for the two points. 

Two Off As Saints Defeat Vikings

St Helens kept up their hopes of a top three finish with a 21-8 win away to Widnes Vikings who saw two late dismissals.

A stunning start from the visitors saw them race into an 0-8 lead as Adam Swift crossed twice inside the opening nine minutes with Luke Walsh adding a conversion to the opening try before extending the lead on 14 minutes with a penalty goal. Widnes hit back just before the interval as Patrick Ah Van went over for 4-10.

The visitors regained their double figure advantage with 12 minutes gone in the second half as Matty Fleming crossed for 4-16. Corey Thompson cut the gap for the hosts with eight minutes to go and the try seemed to make Saints wary as four minutes later, Walsh swept over a drop goal to confirm the win.

However, the action didn't end there as a scuffle on 78 minutes saw three cards from the referee with  Kevin Brown and Patrick Ah Van sent off for the Vikings while Joe Greenwood was sin-binned for Saints who utilised the short man advantage to sent Atelea Vea over for a score.