Wednesday, 14 September 2016

Super 8s Round Five Review

Super Saints Crush Cas

St Helens moved up to third after a convincing 40-16 win at home to a Castleford Tigers side who looked to win in the town for the first time since 1992.

The Tigers started superbly with two penalties in the opening minute resulting in a classy show and go from Luke Dorn who crossed for the opening try which Luke Gale converted for 0-6. Saints hit back through Matty Fleming whose effort was awarded after a video referral with Luke Walsh levelling with the boot.

Castleford regained the lead just before the end of the opening quarter as Wigan loanee Ryan Hampshire crossed out wide for 6-10 with Gale narrowly missing the conversion attempt. Saints fought back again but this time they went ahead as Morgan Knowles crossed with Walsh kicking for 12-10 before he improved a Kyle Amor effort for 18-10.

An apparent trip from Rangi Chase on Jonny Lomax saw the Tigers half sent to the sin-bin with Luke Thompson extending the hosts' lead within a minute for 24-10 as the Saints led by 14 at the interval. A mixed start to the second half saw the Tigers denied a try on 54 minutes after Ben Crooks had crossed.

Saints boosted their lead just after the hour mark as Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook crossed with Walsh on target again for a 30-10 advantage into the final quarter. The win and third spot in the table ahead of rivals Wigan for Saints was confirmed seven minutes from the end as Adam Swift crossed out wide for 34-10. Castleford looked to have the final say with Will Maher's first try of the season but a last-gasp try from Alex Walmsley saw Jack Owens kick to bring up the 40 point mark.


Derby Delight For Wolves 

Warrington Wolves continued to close in on the League Leaders Shield with a comfortable 30-12 derby victory over neighbours Widnes Vikings.

Chris Hill crossed from long range to open the scoring after 11 minutes with Kurt Gidley converting for 6-0 before Gidley added a penalty for an 8-0 advantage on 26 minutes. Widnes' strong defensive performance at Wigan last week seemed far away when Ashton Sims and Morgan Smith crossed to give the Wolves a huge 20-0 lead at the interval.

Joe Philbin extended the lead within five minutes of the restart before Joe Mellor got the Vikings off the mark with Corey Thompson converting for 26-6. However, the win was wrapped up 12 minutes from the end as Matty Russell went over for 30-6 but despite the loss, Widnes did have the last say on the score as Thompson scored three minutes from the end with Lloyd White converting.  

Trinity Edged By Dragons 

Catalans Dragons look to have consolidated fifth spot after a narrow 14-10 win away to Wakefield Trinity.

The Dragons started the better of the two sides as they opened the scoring inside four minutes through Jason Baitieri with Tony Gigot converting for 0-6. Wakefield replied rapidly through Max Jowitt for 4-6 but the Dragons went in again through Julian Bousquet to lead 4-12 after the first quarter and their eight point advantage lasted into the interval.

Craig Hall cut the gap within two minutes of the restart with Liam Finn converting for 10-12 but in such a tight game, a Gigot penalty just after the hour mark was enough to confirm the win for the Dragons.

Tautai Try Topples FC

Wigan Warriors kept up their hopes of a top two finish with an 18-12 win over Hull FC at the KCOM Stadium.
The Warriors made the better start of the two sides with George Williams zig-zagging through the FC defence to cross for the opening try for 0-4 before a clever effort from Fetuli Talanoa on the wing saw Marc Sneyd convert for 6-4, Mahe Fonua ghosted over for FC three minutes before the break before a superb long range penalty goal from Sneyd sent the hosts into the interval leading 12-4.

Sam Powell crossed for the Warriors on 65 minutes with Smith cutting the gap to 12-10 before a late show from the Warriors saw Taulima Tautai end a wait of over a year since his last score to touch down with Smith converting for 12-16 to surely seal the win for Wigan. Any doubts for the Warriors were quelled in the final minute when Smith confirmed the two points with a penalty goal.