Wednesday, 17 August 2016

The Qualifiers Round Two Review

Rhinos Deny Robins

Leeds Rhinos opened round two with a narrow 20-18 victory over Hull Kingston Rovers at Headingley on Friday night. 

A tight first quarter saw the sides remain level at 0-0 before an opening try on 28 minutes as Kallum Watkins crossed for the hosts with Liam Sutcliffe converting for 6-0. Sutcliffe added a penalty goal two minutes before half-time for an 8-0 lead at the interval. 

The Robins cut the gap within three minutes of the restart with James Greenwood crossing for a try which Josh Mantellato converted for 8-6 before Mantellato levelled at 8-8 with a penalty on 51 minutes. Sutcliffe restored the lead for the hosts at 10-8 with a penalty before James Segeyaro increased the lead to 16-8 with 13 minutes left. KR hit back through James Donaldson for 16-14 before a second try from Segeyaro looked to have sealed the win with 77 minutes played. George Lawler's late effort made it 22-18 but Leeds managed to hold on for the two points. 

Leigh Secure Salford Win

Saturday afternoon saw Leigh Centurions secure a 32-26 win over Salford Red Devils at Leigh Sports Village.

The hosts opened the scoring after just seven minutes as Reni Maitua crossed before a second try from Corey Paterson just five minutes later saw Martyn Ridyard convert for 12-0. Mason Caton-Brown got Salford off the mark on 15 minutes with Gareth O'Brien converting for 12-6. Leigh regained their two score lead thought with a try from Gregg McNally before Niall Evalds crossed for the visitors to make it 18-10. Leigh went into the interval with a 20-10 lead after Ridyard added a late penalty.

Salford's comeback began on 55 minutes with Robert Lui's try for 20-16 but nothing more came until the final ten minutes of the game which saw a quick double from Adam Higson and Matty Dawson put Leigh on course for the win at 32-16. Salford didn't go down easily though as they ran in two tries in the final three minutes with Ben Murdoch-Masila crossing ahead of Caton-Brown's second but they were unable to complete the comeback as Leigh celebrated a six point success. 

Brilliant Broncos Batter Bulldogs

London Broncos bounced back superbly from their opening loss with a 76-16 hammering of Batley Bulldogs.

The Broncos raced into a 22-0 lead inside the first quarter with efforts from Jamie Soward, Dan Harrison, Iliess Macani and Andy Ackers with Soward converting three of four conversion attempts. Batley were powerless to hold off more punishment from the Broncos in the first half as Macani scored his second ahead of tries from James Cunningham and Matt Garside who crossed for a 38-0 half-time advantage. 

The London spree resumed within three minutes of the restart as Macani completed his hat-trick for 44-0 before Batley got off the mark with two tries in four minutes as James Brown and Alex Rowe crossed with Dom Brambani converting both for 44-12. However, London shook off the dent in their scoring streak with a brace from Rhys Williams ans a Jack Bussey score for 58-12. Chris Ulugia crossed for the Bulldogs for 58-16 but the Broncos resumed their charge with Cunningham claiming his second score ahead of Williams' hat-trick try for 70-16. The rout was completed with eight minutes left as Matt Iaone crossed and Soward kicked his tenth conversion for a 60 point triumph. 

Glorious Giants Rout Rovers

The final game of the round came from the John Smith's Stadium as Huddersfield Giants stormed to a 62-16 win over Featherstone Rovers.

The Giants opened up a 12-0 lead inside the first quarter with tries from Michael Lawrence and Oliver Roberts with Jamie Ellis converting both but the Rovers replied with an effort from John Davies with Kyle Briggs converting to make it 12-6. However, Huddersfield took control with tries from Gene Ormsby and Ryan Brierley before a second score from Roberts sent them into the interval leading 28-6.

Ukuma Ta'ai and Kyle Wood extended the lead within ten minutes of the restart for 38-6 before Featherstone stemmed the Giants' spree through Luke Briscoe for 38-10. A second score from Wood made it 44-10 but Fev replied yet again as Ian Hardman crossed for 44-16. Second scores from Brierley and Ta'ai brought up the 50 point mark at 56-16 before Ryan Hinchcliffe crossed late on to put the gloss on a huge win for the Giants which saw Ellis kick a ninth conversion.