Tuesday, 23 August 2016

The Qualifiers Round Three Review

Robins Defeat Red Devils

Hull Kingston Rovers made it two wins from three in The Qualifiers as they defeated Salford Red Devils 29-12.

The Robins flew out of the blocks with Josh Mantellato crossing for the opening try inside two minutes which he converted for a 0-6 lead which soon became 12-0 as James Greenwood crossed in the 12th minute. Mantellato converted before adding a penalty goal to open up a 0-14 lead which was then cut by Mason Caton-Brown's effort for the hosts for 4-14.

Mantellato added a second penalty goal to increase the lead to 4-16 before he converted a Ken Sio try as the Robins moved to a comfortable 4-22 advantage. Gareth O'Brien had the last say on the half as he converted a penalty goal for 6-22 into the interval.

O'Brien cut the gap for Salford even further with a self-converted try on 51 minutes for 12-22 but it was to be in vain as the Mantellato added his third penalty goal of the game ahead of an Albert Kelly drop goal for 14-25. Thomas Minns put the gloss on a fine win for the visitors with an effort three minutes from the end.

Rhinos Hold Off Battling Broncos

Saturday afternoon at Ealing Trailfinders saw London Broncos lose out 42-28 to Leeds Rhinos who made it three wins in a row in the competition.

London took a surprise lead after five minutes through Rhys Williams with Jamie Soward converting for 6-0 but Leeds fought back with a try from Tom Briscoe and self-converted effort from Liam Sutcliffe for a 6-10 lead. James Cunningham crossed for the hosts with Soward kicking them into a 12-10 lead but a second try from Briscoe and score from James Segayaro gave the Rhinos a 12-20 advantage at the interval. 

Leeds took control with Jordan Lilley, Mitch Achurch and Kallum Watkins all crossing within 12 minutes of the restart as the lead moved to 12-36. Nick Slyney reduced the deficit before Briscoe completed his hat-trick to bring up the 40 point mark. London had the last say though as they ran in two late scores through Iliess Macani and Elliot Kear. 

Giants Gut Battling Bulldogs 

Huddersfield Giants made it two wins in a row as they secured a 58-28 away to Batley Bulldogs. 

The Bulldogs took a surprise early lead as Dom Brambani converted a penalty goal inside two minutes before the Giants fought back with an array of tries from Leroy Cudjoe, Gene Ormsby, Eorl Crabtree, Jake Connor and a Tom Symonds brace for a 2-30 lead after 26 minutes. 

The Giants looked to have the game won by half-time as Joe Wardle crossed ahead of a brace for Ryan Brierley as they held a 2-48 lead into the interval. 

Batley stemmed the spree with efforts from Shaun Squires and Dave Scott with Brambani converting both for 14-48. Second tries for Squires and Cudjoe and a hat-trick try for Brierley moved the score to 20-58 before a late double from Chris Ulugia and Scott closed the gap to 30 points. 

Centurions Deny Rovers

The final game of the weekend saw a battle between two Championship sides as Featherstone Rovers just fell short in an 18-30 loss to Leigh Centurions. 

Leigh raced into an early 0-12 lead with efforts from Reni Maitua and Mitch Brown with Martyn Ridyard converting both. Josh Walters crossed for the hosts with Kyle Briggs converted before adding a penalty goal five minutes before the interval for 8-12. 

Matty Dawson and Micky Higham crossed either side of the hour to push Leigh's advantage to 8-22 but Fev remained in the contest with a Luke Briscoe try and a self-converted effort from Briggs to close the gap to 18-22. However, the fightback was quelled by a Ridyard penalty goal and last-gasp try from Gareth Hock as the Centurions made it three wins from three games.