Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Super 8s Round 2 Review

Talanoa Trebles As FC Nil Vikings 

Hull FC moved two points clear at the top of the Super8s table as they claimed a 38-0 win against a weakened Widnes Vikings.

A tight first 20 minutes saw both sides strong in defence with Widnes looking the likeliest to score with a number of missed chances but it was to be FC who struck first as Jordan Abdull made his mark in place of injured star Marc Sneyd before converting for 0-6. Fetuli Talanoa crossed twice in the space of eight minutes sandwiching an effort from Mahe Fonua with Abdull converting twice for a 0-22 lead at the interval.

Steve Michaels extended the lead ten minutes after restart before a first try of the season from Dean Hadley saw Abdull convert for 0-34 to seal the win for FC but they were not done there as Talanoa completed his hat-trick with nine minutes left to leave Widnes with a nilling to recover from as FC bounced back from their opening loss last week. 

Super Saints Deny Dragons

St Helens continued their superb winning streak as they moved closer to cementing a play-off spot with a 39-16 win over fellow hopefuls Catalans Dragons.

The hosts fell behind early on as Dave Taylor crossed for the opening try on seven minutes with Lucas Albert converting for 0-6. A superb first half hat-trick from Adam Swift saw him cross in the 19th, 25th and 40th minutes with conversions from Luke Walsh and Jack Owens with an effort from Jason Baitieri for the Dragons coming between Swift's second and third as Saints led 16-12 at the interval. 

Two penalties from Walsh within ten minutes of the restart saw the lead increased to 20-12before Swift claimed his fourth try for 26-12. Walsh sent over a drop goal for a 15 point lead at 27-12 before Catalan struck back through Vincent Duport for 27-16 but Saints were not to be caught as Owens and Joe Greenwood crossed in the final eight minutes to complete the win. 

Solomona Trebles As Tigers Halt Warriors

Castleford Tigers secured back-to-back scalps of the top two as they extended their perfect start to the Super 8s with a 36-22 win against Wigan Warriors at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

The Tigers took just nine minutes to open the scoring against a Wigan side fielding 1-7 in their backline for the first time in 2016 who had to look on as Denny Solomona raced down the wing for 4-0. The move came as the Warriors were short on the wing after the injury to Dom Manfredi but they fell further behind to a Luke Gale penalty for 6-0 just three minutes later.

Paul McShane extended the lead on the half hour for 12-0 before a try from Sam Powell and Matty Smith conversion closed the gap to 12-6 ahead of the interval. Solomona claimed his second try ten minutes after the restart before securing his hat-trick after Ben Flower had crossed for Wigan with Gale adding another penalty for 24-12 after an hour.

Wigan staged a comeback with efforts from John Bateman and Lee Mossop but just one conversion from two left the gap at four points at 26-22. Castleford were not done though and sealed the win with a try from Wigan loanee Ryan Hampshire on 77 minutes before Oliver Holmes put the gloss on the win with a last-gasp try as the Tigers avoided a fourth loss in 2016 to the Warriors.

Wolves Secure Wildcats Win

Warrington closed up on top spot with a 38-10 win away to Wakefield Trinity Wildcats on Sunday afternoon. 

The hosts opened the scoring after just four minutes as Jon Molloy crossed with Liam Finn converting for a 6-0 lead. The Wolves fought back with efforts from Ben Currie, Chris Hill, and Ryan Atkins with Kurt Gildey converting two of three attempts for a 6-16 lead at the interval. 

Matty Russell extended the leas within seven minutes of the restart for 6-22 before a first senior try for Judah Mazive made it 10-22. Warrington took full control from the hour mark with Daryl Clark crossing ahead of a second try for Russell before Joe Westerman put the gloss on the win with a try five minutes from the end.