Wednesday, 3 August 2016

Challenge Cup Semi Final Reviews

Hull Halt Wigan

Friday night saw the first semi final take place at Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium as Wigan Warriors faced Hull FC. 

A tight first 15 minutes saw the sides remain level until George Williams opened the scoring for Wigan with Matty Smith converting for 6-0. Marc Sneyd got FC off the mark with a penalty goal for 6-2, a scoreline which lasted into the interval. 

Matty Smith converted a penalty goal within three minutes of the restart for 8-2 before a Steve Michaels try and Sneyd conversion levelled at 8-8. FC went in again four minutes later through Fetuli Talanoa for 8-14 before Sneyd made it 4/4 with the boot for 8-16 just before the hour mark. Wigan hit back through Willie Isa ten minutes from the end but were unable to draw level despite numerous late chances.

Wembley For Wolves After Wakefield Rout 

Warrington Wolves strolled past Wakefield Wildcats to secure a 17th Challenge Cup final appearance after a 56-12 rout at Leigh Sports Village.

Wakefield started the better of the two sides with Toronto bound Craig Hall crossing for the opening try inside five minutes with Liam Finn converting for 0-6. Warrington took just ten minutes to draw level through Jack Hughes with Gidley converting ahead of a penalty goal for 8-6. Tries from Daryl Clark, Rhys Evans were followed by a self-converted try from Gidley as the Wolves opened up a 24-6 lead into the interval.

Chris Sandow and Stefan Ratchford increased the gap with efforts within eight minutes of the restart for 34-6 before tries from Ben Currie and Toby King, improved by Gidley's kicking put the contest to bed at 46-6 before the hour mark.

Former Wakefield forward Ben Westwood crossed to punish his former side further with Ratchford converting for 52-6. Wakefield stemmed the Wolves' spree through Max Jowitt with Finn converting for 52-12 but they didn't have the last say as King crossed for his second to complete the rout and send the Wolves to Wembley to meet Hull FC on Aug 27.