Sunday, 17 July 2016

Super League Round 22 Review

Fabulous FC Rout Robins 

Hull FC returned to the Super League summit for at least 24 hours after they eased to a 36-12 derby win over city rivals Hull Kingston Rovers who now face 'The Qualifiers'.

A close first ten minutes between the sides ended with FC striking the opening try as Liam Watts crossed and Marc Sneyd converted for 6-0 before a clever kick from Sneyd saw Danny Houghton increase the lead for 12-0. FC seemed in control before the 25th minute as Mark Minchello benefited from a KR mistake from a Sneyd kick to cross for an 18-0 lead which lasted into half-time.

The hosts' spree resumed seven minutes after the restart as Minichello claimed his second try for 24-0 before Steve Michaels crossed with the resulting conversion brining up the 30 point mark. The Robins finally got off the mark on 55 minutes as Adam Walker crossed and Josh Mantellato converted for 30-6. The win was cemented for the hosts with 13 minutes to go as Michaels claimed his second try for 36-6 but the Robins had the last say in style as Iain Thornley dummied superbly to cross on 78 minutes with Mantellato converting for 36-12.

Vikings Vanquished By Red Devils

Salford Red Devils boosted their hopes of finishing ninth ahead of the split as they secured a 32-24 win away to Widnes Vikings. 

The Red Devils made a superb start as Mason Caton-Brown crossed inside three minutes for 0-6 before Matt Whitley crossed for the Vikings for 6-6. Justin Carney and Patrick Ah Van exchanged tried for 12-12 into the interval. 

Caton-Brown and Whitley claimed their second tries for 181-18 before Josh Jones' effort and two Gareth O'Brien penalties put the visitors 18-26 ahead. Widnes hit back through Corey Thompson for 24-26 but were unable to avoid defeat as Caton-Brown completed his hat-trick for the win. 

Revitalised Rhinos Deny Weakened Warriors

After defeating league leaders Hull FC last week, Leeds Rhinos claimed consecutive scalps as they edged second placed Wigan Warriors 18-16 at Headingley.

The Rhinos struck first through in-form Kallum Watkins who battled his way over with Liam Sutcliffe converting for a 6-0 advantage. Wigan fought back with an effort from Josh Charnley but Matty Smith dragged the conversion attempt wide at 6-4. The sides battled on for the rest of the first half with defence coming out on top as the two point gap remained into the interval.

A superb try from Adam Cuthbertson saw the Rhinos move to a 12-4 lead before they looked to have sealed the win on 67 minutes as Brett Ferres crossed for 18-4. Wigan have been experts at staging late comebacks this season and they looked to be on their way to a superb one when Jack Higginson opened his Warriors account with 11 minutes to go to cut the gap to 18-10.

George Willliams left the Rhinos defence in his wake as dummied and crossed on 72 minutes with Smith converting for 18-16. Wigan came close to scoring a vital winning try but were inevitably denied by the strong Rhinos defence which held on to move them off the foot of the table.

Dragons Denied As Wildcats Win

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats moved up to sixth in the standings after securing a 30-28 win away to Catalans Dragons at Stade Gilbert Brutus.

Trinity made the better start as Max Jowitt opened the scoring inside seven minutes with Liam Finn converting for 0-6 before Tony Gigot crossed for the hosts with Pat Richards levelling with the boot for 6-6. The Dragons took control with tries from Dave Taylor and Justin Horo for 18-6 but Wakefield battled back superbly with efforts from Jon Molloy and Craig Hall sending them into the interval level at 18-18.

The visitors completed the turnaround within eight minutes of the restart with Bill Tupou going over for 18-24 before Morgan Escaré drew the Dragons level at 24-24. Both sides were wary of their last meeting which saw Wakefield win 25-24 and Tony Gigot attempted a drop goal only to miss the target but Trinity ensured the attempt didn't matter as Mick Sio put them ahead on 67 minutes at 24-30.

Catalans set up a tense final ten minutes with Fouad Yaha scoring out wide but a failed conversion from Richards left the score at 28-30. Both sides pushed for further scores but it was to be Wakefield's day as they claimed a superb victory.  

Super Saints Stop Giants

St Helens kept up their hopes of a top four spot ahead of the Super 8s split with a 34-18 away to Huddersfield Giants.

The visitors raced into a 0-6 lead inside two minutes as Joe Greenwood crossed and Marc Percival converted but the Giants were soon level as Danny Brough crossed ad converted for 6-6 on nine minutes. The sides traded scores again as Jack Owens and Tom Symonds crossed with only Brough converting as the Giants led 12-10. St Helens took control ahead of half-time with tries from Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Jordan Turner for 12-22 at the interval.

Huddersfield fought back with an effort from Jermaine McGillvary for 18-22 but it was to be in vain as Adam Swift dashed over for a superb try ahead of an effort from Alex Walmsley with Marc Percival ending the afternoon with five successes with the boot in a comfortable win. 

Wolves Win Despite Solomona Quartet

Warrington Wolves closed the gap on the top two with a comfortable 42-26 win away at Castleford Tigers.

The Tigers made a perfect start as Frankie Mariano opened the scoring inside three minutes for 4-0 before Rhys Evans crossed twice in five minutes to give the Wolves a 4-10 advantage. Denny Solomona matched Evans as he crossed for a brace with Luke Gale converting the latter for 14-10. Stefan Ratchford put the Wolves back ahead at 14-16 but Solomona completed his hat-trick with three minutes left of the half to send the Tigers into the interval leading 18-16.

Brad Dwyer put the Wolves ahead within six minutes of the restart with Chris Sandow kicking the conversion before adding a penalty goal for an 18-30 lead. Warrington took full control of the game with a trio of tries in the space of ten minutes as Ben Currie, Toby King and Daryl Clark all crossing for a huge 18-42 lead.

Denny Solomona continued his personal success in the game with a fourth try for 22-42 but another miss from Gale left them behind at 22-42. The Tigers did have the last say on the score though as Ben Crooks crossed in the final minute for 26-42.