Thursday, 23 June 2016

Super League Round 19 Review

Wigan Warriors moved level on points at the top of Super League after securing a narrow 7-0 win away to eighth placed Widnes Vikings.

The build-up to the game saw a minor electrical fire in the Wigan end which fired them up and proved to be the only negative for the Warriors across the night. The first half was extremely tight with a mix of good defence and errors from both sides keeping them level at 0-0 alongside a number of turned down tries via the video referee.

Wigan broke the deadlock within eight minutes of the restart with Josh Charnley and Matty Smith converted for 0-6. Smith added a drop goal to make it 0-7 just before the hour mark but alike recent games, Wigan's attack was not something to be admired while their superb defence managed to keep the Vikings out and secure a first nilling of the season for the Warriors.

Warrington claimed a narrow 20-18 against top four rivals Catalan Dragons at the Halliwell Jones Stadium on a packed evening in Super League.

The Dragons took the lead with an early penalty from Pat Richards before Ryan Atkins and Kevin Penny struck either side of an effort from the Dragons' Julian Bousquet for a 10-8 lead. Fouad Yaha  crossed for the visitors ahead of Richards adding a penalty for a 10-16 half-time lead.

Brad Dwyer closed the gap for the Wolves just two minutes after the restart before Richards and Gidley exchanged penalties for 18-18 with 12 minutes left. Gidley added another penalty for 20-18 which proved to be enough to seal a valuable win.

St Helens completed a superb comeback as they raced to a 48-16 triumph against Hull Kingston Rovers at Langtree Park.

The Robins stormed into a 0-12 lead with tries from Shaun Lunt and Chris Clarkson ahead of a Kieran Dixon penalty. However, an Adam Swift brace levelled at 12-12 before the interval.

Swift went in again twice more either side of an effort for Shannon McDonnell to make it 24-12 before Thomas Minns stemmed he spree at 24-16.

Saints wrapped up a superb turnaround with tries from Marc Percival , Louie McCarthy- Scarsbrook, Dominque Peyroux and Alex Walmsley who completed the 48-16 rout.

Leeds claimed back-to-back wins as they dismantled Wakefield in a 32-6 rout at Belle Vue.

The Rhinos raced into a 0-6 lead inside three minutes with Mitch Achurch crossing before Liam Sutcliffe added a penalty for 0-8. Wakefield hit back through former Rhinos back Ben Jones Bishop before another Sutcliffe penalty and try from Brad Singleton set up a 6-16 advantage at the interval.

The Rhinos extended their lead further with Singleton crossing for a second time before two penalties and a converted try from Sutcliffe to seal a 6-32 triumph.

Huddersfield began life without Paul Anderson with a 31-30 win against Salford at the AJ Bell Stadium.

Salford struck first through Craig Kopczak before tries from Jake Connor, Ukuma Ta'ai and Leroy Cudjoe gave the Giants a 6-16 lead. Daniel Vidot cut the gap to 12-16 at the interval.

Josh Jones crossed for the hosts before Eorl Crabtree and Joe Wardle put the Giants at 18-30 and Danny Brough extended the lead to 18-31 with a drop goal.

However, Salford were not finished yet as Jones and Vidot sealed braces to make it 30-31 but in
vain as the Giants held on for the win.

The round came to an end on Sunday as Castleford Tigers hosted league leaders Hull FC at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

The Tigers took an early 8-0 lead with tries from Luke Dorn and Jake Webster before being pegged back by Frank Pritchard and Danny Houghton for 8-12. Mahe Fonua extended the visitors' lead to 8-18 just before half-time. 

Cas fought back with efforts from Paddy Flynn and Denny Solomona to level at 18-18 but Jamie Shaul regained the lead for FC at 18-24. The Tigers had the chance to draw level with just eight minutes to go as Solomona claimed his second try but a failed conversion left them ruing a 22-24 defeat.