Thursday, 2 June 2016

Super League Round 16 Review

After a superb Magic Weekend in Newcastle, Super League action returned to the norm with round 16 but just like the rest of this strange season, there were some surprise results.

Tigers Troubled By Winning Warriors

The round opened on Thursday night as Stadium Travels visited the Mend-A-Hose Jungle as Castleford Tigers hosted Wigan Warriors. A bright start from both sides saw Josh Charnley put Wigan ahead before a Paul McShane try levelled at 6-6. After a penalty from Luke Gale, the sides exchanged tries again as Sam Tomkins and Denny Solomona crossed before a Matty Smith penalty made it 12-14 at the interval.

Wigan took control with an effort from Dom Manfredi and Charnley's second coupled with Smith's perfect kicking for 14-28. Jake Webster cut the gap before the match looked to be sealed with Sam Powell's try on 69 minutes. Solomona struck his second but in vain as a late Smith drop goal confirmed a 26-33 final score. 

Wondrous Wolves Rout Rhinos

Friday's televised action came from the Halliwell Jones Stadium as Warrington Wolves hosted Leeds Rhinos in a clash between sides at either ends of the table. The Rhinos flew out of the blocks with Jimmy Keinhorst opening the scoring but efforts from Gene Ormsby, Tom Lineham and Brad Dwyer put the Wolves in control at 18-6 on the half hour. Brett Ferres crossed to make it 18-12 ahead of half-time. 

Warrington took control with Ryan Atkins, Stefan Ratchford and Kurt Gidley crossing ahead of the hour mark coupled with a second score from Ormsby as they opened up a 40-12 advantage. Daryl Clark extended the lead before a second try from Ferres pushed the Rhinos to 46-18 but Clark added the gloss on a huge win with his second try late on to wrap up a massive 52-18 rout. 

Superb Salford Stun Tumbling Trinity

Friday's other action came from the AJ Bell Stadium as Salford Red Devils hosted Wakefield Trinity who have recently ditched the 'Wildcats' tag. Salford struck an early opening through Niall Evalds for 4-0 before Anthony Tupou levelled for the Wildcats just before the half hour mark. The hosts went into the interval ahead via a Ryan Lannon try for 10-4.

They extended their lead with an effort from Mark Flanagan before a second score from Lannon and tries from Robert Lui and George Griffin put them in control at 34-4. The visitors stemmed the spree with a try from Ben Jones-Bishop but it was in vain as Junior Sa'u completed a 38-8 rout late on. 

Fabulous FC Stop Saints

Hull FC hosted St Helens at the KCOM Stadium on Steve Prescott Day as the sides battled for the hallowed cup named after the former Saints and Hull FC legend. The hosts claimed the award with a 32-24 victory over the Saints which saw them race into a 12-0 lead after tries from Gareth Ellis and Mahe Fonua.

St Helens hit back superbly as Adam Swift, Jonny Lomax and Atelea Vea all crossed to put them 12-18 ahead just before the break with Marc Sneyd cutting the gap to 14-18 with a late penalty goal. FC took control in the second half as Carlos Tuimavave and Scott Taylor scored to open up a 26-18 advantage. Jack Ashworth kept the Saints in the hunt at 26-24 but the deciding say went to Danny Washbrook who opened his account for the season to seal the win three minutes from the end.

Dragons Deny Rallying Robins

Catalan Dragons regained third spot in the Super League table after securing a comfortable 34-16 win over Hull Kingston Rovers. The Dragons raced into a 16-0 lead with tries from Jodie Broughton, Todd Carney and a first senior effort from Lucas Albert before former Dragons forward Kevin Larroyer crossed to cut the gap to 16-6.  Louis Anderson and Tony Gigot both scored before the half-time break with Pat Richards adding a late penalty goal to open up a 28-6 lead at the interval.

After playing for England Academy last night, Joe Wardill's weekend got even better as he crossed for a try to make it 28-19 just after the hour mark. However, the Dragons wrapped up the win with a try from Justin Horo whose 68th minute effort made it 34-10 but wasn't the last say on the game as Ken Sio ran in a late effort to sent the travelling Robins home with more than just sheer consolation. 

Vikings Vanquish Giants

Sunday saw the round come to a close at the Select Security Stadium as Widnes Vikings hosted Huddersfield Giants. The Giants raced into a 16-0 lead with efforts from Nathan Mason, Danny Brough and Joe Wardle. 

Corey Thompson and Joe Mellor both scored braces as the Vikings staged a superb comeback which also saw a try from Stefan Marsh as they opened up a 24-16 lead.

Jermaine McGillvary kept the Giants in the hunt at 24-20 but the Vikings just about held on to secure a win and end their barren spell.