Thursday, 28 April 2016

Super League Round 12 Review

Due to computing problems over the last couple of weeks, the reviews have been a bit mixed in terms of content but despite the delay in this rounds review, full coverage of round 12 is below.

Warriors Win Guts Giants

The round opened on Thursday night at the DW Stadium as Wigan Warriors hosted Huddersfield Giants with the Warriors eyeing top spot and the Giants hoping to close on the top eight. A rapid start from the hosts saw Anthony Gelling cross for the opening try on five minutes with Matty Smith converting for a 6-0 lead. Ryan Brierley opened his account for the Giants just seven minutes later with Danny Brough levelling with the conversion. 

Brierley crossed for a second time five minutes before the interval and Brough converted for a 12-6 lead at half-time but John Bateman (Smith conv) crossed just before the hour mark to level before a quick reply from Brierley saw him complete his hat-trick with Brough converting for 18-12. Smith took control of the game with a self-converted try and drop goal for 19-18 before Brough levelled with the boot at 19-19. The game was to be won in the last two minutes as Smith swept over a second drop goal for 20-19 before converting a last-gasp try from Dan Sarginson for a 26-19 success.

Vikings Vanquished By Wondrous Wolves

Friday's non televied action came from the Select Security Stadium as Widnes Vikings hosted neighbours Warrington Wolves looking to avenge the defeat in their last meeting. However, Warrington started superbly by racing into a 12-0 lead with early scores from Kurt Gidley and Kevin Penny with Gidley converting both tries. Widnes replied through Joe Mellor with Rhys Hanbury converting for 12-6 but Joe Westerman (Gidley conv) restored the 12 point advantage,

A try from Ben Westwood and a second from Westerman were both converted by Gidley for a 30-6 lead at the interval. Corey Thompson made it 30-12 before a second score from Penny and a try from Stefan Ratchford (Gidley convs) made it 42-12. Widnes cut the gap again through Stefan Marsh (Hanbury conv) before a self-converted second try from Ratchford sealed a comfortable 48-16 victory.  

Super Saints Edge Rueful Rhinos

Friday's televised action came from Langtree Park as St Helens hosted fierce rivals Leeds Rhinos with both sides hoping to boost their mixed seasons so far. A superb start for the hosts saw Jonny Lomax mark his return from a year on the sidelines with the opening try inside five minutes with Walsh converting for 6-0. Joe Greenwood extended the lead to 10-0 within two minutes before Leeds took control with tries from Ash Golding, Rob Burrow and Jimmy Keinhorst with Jordan Lilley converting twice for a 16-10 lead.

Lomax scored his second try just before the interval with Walsh making it 16-16 into half-time before Kyle Amor put Saints 20-16 ahead. The game turned into a 'you score, we score' as Ash Handley (Lilley conv) crossed ahead of a second score from Greenwood (Walsh conv) for 26-22. Theo Fages (Walsh convs) crossed twice either side of an effort from Anthony Mullally (Lilley conv) for a 38-28 lead before Keinhorst's second set up a tense finish at 38-34 but Saints just about managed to hold on for the win. 

Dragons Delight In Salford Success

Saturday's action came from the Stade Gilbert Brutus as Catalan Dragons hosted Salford Red Devils with the Dragons looking to secure a home/away double over the Red Devils. A frantic start saw Niall Evalds and Jodie Broughton exchange tries for 4-4 before Justin Carney crossed for 8-4 and Gareth O'Brien added a penalty goal for 10-4. Catalans levelled on 20 minutes with Morgan EscarĂ©'s try which Pat Richards converted before a try from Junior Sau and an effort from Vincent Duport (Richards conv) made it 16-14 at the interval. 

Sau claimed his second try within eight minutes of the restart for 20-16 before a double from Richie Myler and second effort from Broughton (Richards convs) made it 32-20 to the hosts.  Richards added a penalty goal for 34-20 before a hat-trick try for Sau and second score from Evalds saw Dobson and O'Brien conv to narrow the gap to 34-32. The game was won late on as Richards crossed with Thomas Bosc converting before a penalty goal from Richards wrapped up a 42-32 win. 

Wishful Wakefield Fall To Fabulous FC

Sunday saw two games starting with Wakefield Wildcats hosting Hull FCwith both looking to continue superb runs either side of the Easter period. The hosts struck first through Ash Gibson with Liam Finn converting ahead of a reply from Gareth Ellis with Marc Sneyd converting for 6-6. Hull took control with Fetuli Talanoa crossing twice either side of an effort from Josh Bowden with Sneyd converting the lot for 24-6.

Tom Johnstone cut the gap before two more scores from Gibson for his hat-trick with Finn converting the trio for 24-24 at the interval. Danny Kirmond put the hosts ahead within five minutes of the restart before a hat-trick try from Talanoa (Sneyd conv) made it 30-28 to FC. Kirk Yeaman extended the lead before Talanoa ran in a fourth try for 40-28. The win was wrapped up late on as Jamie Shaul (Sneyd conv) crossed to confirm a 46-28 win

Cas Crushed By Rampant Robins

The round ended at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle as Castleford Tigers hosted Hull Kingston Rovers with both sides looking to boost poor seasons so far. The Robins struck an instant opening as Maurice Blair crossed in the first minute with Ben Cockayne converting for 6-0 before Jake Webster replied and Luke Gale converted for 6-6. Ryan Hampshire put the Tigers ahead with Gale converting for 12-6 before a spree from the Robins saw Thomas Minns, Albert Kelly and Graeme Horne cross with Cockayne converting once for 20-12. 

Jy Hitchcox responded for the Tigers to make it 20-16 at the interval before a second from Minns came within two minutes of the restart with Cockayne converting before adding the extras to Iain Thornley's 52nd minute try for a 32-16 advantage. Mitch Allgood and Ken Sio crossed before Cockayne added a penalty goal for 42-16. The rout was extended in the final six minutes as Sio and Thornley crossed for their second scores either side of a hat-trick try from Minns with Cockayne ending the game with seven conversions in a 58-16 triumph.