Monday, 28 March 2016

Super League Round Seven Review

The first part of a bumper Easter double-header saw derbies aplenty in round seven across Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.

Classy Cas Celebrate As Rhinos Rue

The round opener came from the Mend-A-Hose Jungle as Castleford Tigers hosted Leeds Rhinos in a Yorkshire derby. The Tigers made a superb start by racing into a 12-0 lead inside 12 minutes with tries from Andy Lynch and Jake Webster with Luke Gale converting both. Leeds fought back with two scores in four minutes from Joel Moon and Kallum Watkins with Liam Sutcliffe converting just the former for 12-10. 

Tom Briscoe put the Rhinos in front at 14-12 just before half-time and the two point lead held long into the second half before a superb second try from Webster (Gale conv) six minutes from the end sealed a famous 18-14 victory. 

Robins Riled By Fabulous FC

A huge Good Friday programme started at the KC Lightstream Stadium as Hull Kingston Rovers hosted Hull FC in the Hull city derby. The Robins opened the scoring on 14 minutes as Ryan Shaw crossed for 4-0 before Ken Sio extended the lead on 29 minutes with Josh Mantellato converting for 10-0 before adding a penalty goal for a 12-0 lead at the break.

Iain Thornley continued the Robins' spree on 50 minutes with a conversion and penalty goal from Mantellato pushing the advantage to 20-0 just before the hour mark. However, FC replied instantly as Jamie Shaul crossed with Marc Sneyd converting for 20-6, the fightback continued with a try from Danny Houghton (Sneyd conv) for 20-12. A stunning comeback from FC turned the game around in the space of three minutes as Mahe Fonua and Steve Michaels crossed with Sneyd converting just the latter to seal a 22-20 success.

Salford Suffer As Dragons Delight

The first of a trio of 3pm games came from the AJ Bell Stadium as Salford Red Devils hosted Catalan Dragons. The Dragons made a perfect start with the opening try on three minutes from Tony Gigot for 4-0 before Josh Griffin levelled with a try on 15 minutes. Eloi Pellisier regained the lead for the Dragons in the 26th minute with Pat Richards converting for 10-4 before adding a penalty goal for 12-4.

Dave Taylor (Richards conv) extended the lead in the 52nd minute to 18-4 before a six minute brace from Greg Johnson cut the gap to 18-12 before Richards added another penalty goal for 20-12. The win was sealed three minutes from the end as Taylor crossed for his second score with Richards converting for a 26-12 final score. 

Wonderful Wildcats Win Guts Giants

Another Yorkshire derby saw Wakefield Wildcats host Huddersfield Giants at Belle Vue with both looking to boost poor starts to the season. The Giants opened the scoring through Jermaine McGillvary with Danny Brough converting for 6-0 before a reply from Tom Johnstone saw Liam Finn level at 6-6.

Michael Sio and Reece Lyne (Finn convs) crossed to put the hosts in control at 18-6 before a late fightback in the half saw Jake Connor cross with Brough converting before adding a penalty goal for 18-14 at the break.  Connor claimed his second try to level at 18-18 before Max Jowitt (Finn conv) restored the lead at 24-18. Aaron Murphy cut the gap to 24-22 but to no avail as Johnstone crossed for his second ahead of an effort from Nick Scrcuton with Finn converting both for a 36-22 final score. 

Vikings Vanquished By Winning Wolves

The final 3pm game saw another derby as Warrington Wolves hosted Widnes Vikings at the Halliwell Jones Stadium. Widnes raced into a 10-0 lead with tries from Tom Gilmore and Rhys Hanbury who converted his own effort. Chris Sandow and Tom Lineham replied to make it 10-8 before a penalty goal from Kurt Gidley sent the sides level into the break at 10-10.

Warrington went ahead with a self-converted try from Gidley before wrapping up a 28-10 success with tries from Ryan Atkins and Ben Currie with Gidley converting both. 

Saints Stunned By Wonderful Warriors

The round ended at Langtree Park as St Helens hosted fierce rivals Wigan Warriors in the Good Friday derby. Wigan opened the scoring with a try from Dom Manfredi on 21 minutes before a quick double from Sam Powell and Joel Tomkins coupled with conversions from Matty Smith saw them lead 16-0 at the interval.

Smith added a penalty goal on 51 minutes before Joe Greenwood (Luke Walsh conv) cut the gap to 18-6 but Smith sealed a self-converted try for 24-6 before Theo Fages (Walsh conv) had the last say on 71 minutes but it was in vain as the Warriors sealed a 24-12 victory.