Thursday, 17 September 2015

Super 8s- The Qualifiers Round Five Review

After mixed results across for the Super League quarter in recent rounds, The Qualifiers is still wide open as after round five, only one side has confirmed their place in next season's Super League in Hull KR who remain the only side with a perfect record.

Rampant Robins Batter Bulls

The round opened on Saturday at the KC Lightstream Stadium as Hull KR hosted promotion hopefuls Bradford Bulls with the Robins knowing a win would guarantee their place in Super League next year while the Bulls looked for a second scalp.

The Robins made the better start with the first try coming inside 12 minutes as Josh Mantellato struck for 4-0 but the Bulls were level on 26 minutes as James Mendeika scored for 4-4. Mantellato crossed for a second time to make it 8-4 before Kieran Dixon made it 12-4 at the break in a half with no conversions for either side.

Dixon claimed his second try within three minutes of the restart for 16-4 before Dane Chisholm ran in on 46 minutes with Mantellato converting for a 22-4 lead. The Bulls were being cut adrift and fell further behind to two efforts before the hour from Ken Sio and Kris Welham with Mantellato converting just the former as the Robins led 32-4.

Graeme Horne added a try on 70 minutes which Mantellato converted for 38-4 before a six minute double from Dixon saw him complete his hat-trick ahead of a fourth try which he converted to complete a 48-4 hammering. 

Woeful Wildcats Vanquished By Vikings

Sunday's all Super League meeting came from the Rapid Solicitors Stadium as Wakefield Wildcats hosted Widnes Vikings with both looking to boost their survival hopes.

Widnes struck first after only 13 minutes through Lloyd White and with Danny Tickle converting they led 6-0. Rhys Hanbury struck twice in five minute to extend the lead ahead of an effort from Aaron Heremaia with Tickle converting twice for 22-0 into the interval.

Hanbury completed his hat-trick just two minutes after the restart with Tickle converting for a 28-0 lead before Kevin Brown pushed the Vikings past 30 points with Tickle's conversion improving the lead to 34-0. Lee Smith crossed for the hosts to prevent a nilling at 34-4 but it was to be a slim consolation as Hanbury scored his fourth try ahead of one for Paddy Flynn with Patrick Ah Van converting both to complete a 46-4 victory. 

Fabulous 'Fax Stun Centurions

In the only all Championship meeting at The Shay, Halifax hosted Leigh Centurions looking to secure their first win of the 8s while the Centurions looked to boost their promotion hopes.

The hosts struck first as Dane Manning scored inside eight minutes with Steve Tyrer converting for 6-0 but they were further ahead just six minutes later as Ross Divorty crossed with Tyrer on target again for 12-0. Leigh have performed badly in the first half on numerous occasions this year before storming to wins in the second halves but when Tyrer added a penalty on 31 minutes ahead of a try for James Saltonstall (Tyrer conv) as the hosts completed a perfect first half leading 20-0.

Leigh responded rapidly with two tries inside eight minutes of the restart as Adam Higson and Fui Fui Moi Moi scored with Martyn Ridyard converting both to make it 20-12. However, Halifax were not to be denied their first success of the competition as Scott Murrell crossed with Tyrer converting ahead of a self converted try and penalty either side of the hour mark to seal a 34-12 victory. 

Rampant Red Devils Exciting Eagles

The third of Sunday's games saw a cross league meeting at the AJ Bell Stadium as Salford Red Devils hosted Sheffield Eagles with both sides in still the hunt to reach next season's Super League.

A rapid start from the hosts saw Weller Hauraki open the scoring inside four minutes with Michael Dobson converting for 6-0 but the Eagles were soon on level terms as Cory Aston crossed in the eighth minute with Pat Walker converting for 6-6. Sheffield took the lead as Menzie Yere scored a solo try which Walker converted for 12-6 before Quentin Laulu-Togagae (Walker conv) made it 18-6.

Salford responded well as Harrison Hansen crossed with Dobson converting for 18-12 but the Eagles went in next as Rob Worrincy scored in the corner with Walker converting well for 24-12. A brace from Josh Griffin and efforts from Liam Hood and Lama Tasi put the hosts in control at the interval as they led 34-24.

Sheffield cut the gap as Duane Straughier crossed for 34-28 but Niall Evalds pushed the hosts to 40 points as Dobson converted for 40-28 but Sheffield kept in the hunt as Scott Turner (Walker conv) crossed to make it 40-34. Salford were wary of being pegged back further so Dobson kicked a drop goal for 41-34 but it proved not to matter as Iain Thornley and George Griffin scored late tries which Dobson converted to complete a 53-34 victory.