Thursday, 9 July 2015

Super League Round 11/Round 20 Review

A truly unique week for Super League this year and a busy one that has led to my usual review being scrapped for a week as at present it would be out of date with round 21 beginning tomorrow.

The week began with the rearranged double header from round 11 with Tuesday night featuring Hull KR against Salford. The Robins sealing a 34-28 victory that kept up their top eight hopes but at the same time handed a blow to Salford's hopes of avoiding the middle eights.

Wednesday night saw Wakefield host Hull FC and the Wildcats stunned FC with a superb comeback from 16-0 behind to triumph 24-16 and finally end their 16 game losing streak which had dated back to winning the opening two rounds of the year.

Round 20 began on Thursday night and saw a battle between Warrington and Wigan with the Wolves looking to cement a place in the top eight at the expense of the Warriors who were keen to move into joint top spot. Warrington displayed possibly their best performance of the season while the Warriors looked far from the form that got them into the top three in a 17-6 defeat.

Friday night saw a huge clash between table toppers Leeds host closest rival St Helens but the highly anticipated clash was a mixed one with multiple errors from both sides denying the game of any real flow. Despite the high error count, the Rhinos stormed to victory with a 46-18 trouncing of a Saints side still not assured of a top four spot ahead of the eights.

Sunday saw the majority of the round take place with four games out of a possible six on a single day. Huddersfield looked to maintain fourth spot as they hosted top eight hopefuls Hull KR who seemed to be affected by playing three games in 10 days as they slipped to a 32-14 defeat.

Hull FC hosted Wakefield as the sides met for the second time in under six days with the Wildcats hoping to secure a surprise double and though both had made changes, the game was a tight one but with FC gaining revenge for Wednesday's defeat with a 31-24 victory.

Castleford Tigers hosted Widnes Vikings with the Tigers still in the hunt for a top four sport while Widnes continued to fight for a place in the top eight. However it was the Tigers who came out on top as they secured a 34-20 victory.

The final game of the quartet came as Salford hosted Catalans in a rainy game which saw the Red Devils keep up their slim hopes of the top eight and dent the Dragons hopes of a top four spot. A tight game saw the hosts seal an 18-14 win to round of the weekend.