Wednesday, 15 April 2015

Super League Round Ten Review

After a busy Easter double in rounds eight and nine, round ten saw the unpredictability of Super League XX continue with two sides nilled and four home wins from the six games.

Awesome Airlie Birds Vanquish Vikings

The opening game of the round saw Hull FC host Widnes Vikings on Friday night at the KC Stadium with both keen to build on mixed Easter weekends but it was the hosts who made the better start with Tom Lineham opening the scoring on four minutes for 4-0.

Widnes hit back with a 21st minute try from Kevin Brown to draw level at 4-4 but the equality lasted just eight minutes as Lineham raced clear to cross for a superb try to restore Hull's lead which was extended by Jordan Rankin's conversion for a 10-4 scoreline. Lineham completed his hat-trick eight minutes into the second half with another interception and blitz down the field and with Rankin converting for 16-4.

Jamie Shaul looked to have confirmed the win with a cleverly worked try on 68 minutes with Rankin converting for 22-4 but Widnes fought back instantly with an acrobatic effort from Patrick Ah Van but a failure to convert from Jack Owens left them at 22-8. Widnes were unable to build on Ah Van's try and slipped to a 22-8 defeat. 

Wonderful Wolves Wallop Woeful Wildcats

Saturday afternoon saw Warrington Wolves host Wakefield Wildcats at the HJ Stadium with both looking to bounce back from mixed Easter performances but the Wolves excelled such hopes in a hammering of the Wildcats.

Warrington opened the scoring on nine minutes through Gene Ormsby with Stefan Ratchford converting for 6-0 but from there they raced into a 30-0 lead with tries from Toby King, Daryl Clark, Richie Myler and Ashton Sims with Stefan Ratchford converting the lot for a huge half-time lead.

Any slim hopes, Wakefield had of staging a comeback were ended within the first 17 minutes of the second half as Warrington ran in four tries with Ormsby's second effort added to by tries from Ben Westwood and Joel Monaghan with Ratchford also crossing before converting twice from four attempts for 50-0.

Wakefield had suffered 40+ losses in recent weeks but this was set to be their highest loss of the season as the Wolves scored three further tries in the next ten minutes King and Myler registering their second efforts of the game ahead of Ben Currie's score, Ratchford reached 10 goals by converting all three pushing the lead to 68-0.

The rout ended in the final five minutes with Myler completing his hat-trick ahead of Currie's second try and with Ratchford converting both for 12 goals and a personal points haul of 28 points, the Wolves sealed an 80-0 triumph. 

Classy Castleford Halt Hull KR

Saturday evening's televised game saw Castleford Tigers host Hull Kingston Rovers with both sides eager to close up on the top but it was the Tigers who came out on top despite going behind early on. Ken Sio opened the scoring for the Robins on four minutes for 4-0 before Jordan Tansey levelled for the Tigers six minutes later with Luke Gale's conversion giving the Tigers the lead.

Gale extended the lead with a try and conversion on 27 minutes before adding the extras to Nathan Massey's 33rd minute effort to create an 18-4 lead into the interval. Gale added a drop goal on the hour mark to make it 19-4 before Frankie Mariano scored against his former club on 65 minutes with Gale's fourth conversion sealing a 25-4 victory.

Lofty Leeds Stop Salford Streak

Sunday's televised game saw table toppers Leeds Rhinos visit Salford Red Devils with the Rhinos looking to retain top spot at the expense of an in-form Red Devils side, Jamie Peacock opened the scoring for the Rhinos on 22 minutes with Kevin Sinfield converting for a 4-0 lead. Lama Tasi responded for Salford with Michael Dobson's conversion levelling the score at 6-6. 

Niall Evalds put the hosts in front just four minutes later with Dobson kicking for 12-6 but the Rhinos battled back with Peacock's second try on 32 minutes with Sinfield kicking to level the score at 12-12. Ash Handley crossed just before the interval to give the Rhinos a 16-12 half-time lead before Rob Burrow extended the lead on 45 minutes with Sinfield kicking for 22-12. Evalds crossed for his second score of the game on 57 minuted with Dobson converting to narrow the gap to four at 22-18.

Leeds had the last say on the action with Zak Hardaker scoring on the hour and Sinfield sweeping over his fourth conversion to seal a 28-18 victory.

Warrior Walkover Win Devastates Dragons

The first of two 3pm kick-offs on Sunday saw Wigan Warriors host Catalans Dragons at the DW Stadium with the Dragons looking to complete a perfect treble either side of Easter while the Warriors looked to continue their immaculate home record.

Joe Burgess put the Warriors ahead on 15 minutes at 4-0 before Dan Sarginson, Dom Manfredi and Anthony Gelling added tries on 22 and 29 minutes but in bad conditions, Ryan Hampshire was unable to convert once resulting in a 16-0 score which lasted into the interval.

Ryan Hampshire was able to register his first points of the game with a try on 57 minutes which he then converted for 22-0 before Dom Manfredi crossed for his second try four minutes later for 26-0. Catalans looked a long way away from scoring and hopes of any comeback were scuppered by two rapid tries from Wigan as Burgess scored his second try of the game and Dom Manfredi completed his hat-trick in the space of two minutes and despite Hampshire ending with just one success from eight attempts, Wigan completed a 34-0 win to hand the Dragons a first nilling of the season.

Hudds Horror Streak Sees Saints Success

The final game of the round saw Huddersfield Giants host St Helens with both looking to bounce back from very poor results over the Easter weekend. Huddersfield opened the scoring on four minutes through Leroy Cudjoe for a 4-0 lead before Danny Brough added a 23rd minute penalty for 6-0.

Jordan Turner responded for the visitors just before the interval with Travis Burns; conversion levelling the score at 6-6 into half-time, Burns gave Saints a narrow 8-6 lead with a penalty on 55 minutes before Brough responded in kind four minutes later for 8-8. The game seemed to tighten as the half went on which saw Luke Walsh's decision to send over a drop goal to be a clever one for 9-8 before Burns sealed the win with a penalty for 11-8 late on.