Friday, 29 August 2014

Valiant Vikings Punish Wasteful Warriors

Wigan's away woes in 2014 extended tonight as they fell to a 14 point defeat away to Widnes.

The Warriors included the fit again duo of Michael McIlorum and Iain Thonrley as they looked to close the gap on table toppers St Helens. 

A mixed start from both sides saw Widnes open the scoring in the sixth minute when a superb run from Patrick Ah Van saw him race clear down the wing for a try in the corner with Danny Tickle converting for a 6-0 lead. 

Wigan's 'penalty machine' of 2014 lived up to his past as GIl Dudson conceded a penalty close to his own line and Danny Tickle duly converted for 8-0.

Widnes reached double figures inside 13 minutes as In great space on the wing, Paddy Flynn crossed for an easy try and with Danny Tickle converting for 14-0, Wigan needed the next score to stay in the game. 

Wigan looked to respond but just metres from the Widnes line, Dan Sarginson lost the ball under a heavy tackle. Widnes blew a great chance at the other end as an aerial pass to the wing flew through the grasp of Patricl Ah Van with the try line in sight. 

A succession of penalties put Wigan in a good position and coupled with a run from Sean O'Loughlin, a nice set ended  with Dom Manfredi crossing for a try but a tough angle saw Matty Smith unable to convert at 14-4.

The try seemed to ignite the Warriors charge as they crossed again just three minutes later as a pinpoint kick from Blake Green glided into the arms of Josh Charnley who touched down for a fine try. However, the score remained 14-10 as Matty Smith was unable to convert. 

Wigan looked to have levelled just before half-time as Josh Charnley went over but was held up in goal so 14-10 at the interval.

However, Wigan suffered a blow in only the third minute of the second half when Patrick Ah Van controversially scored his second try as he did so after shoving a Warriors defended out of the way. Danny Tickle converted and Widnes led 20-10. 

Wigan went down to 12 as a heavy tackle from Liam Farrell floored kicker Joe Mellor with the Wigan forward sent to the sin-bin. 

Widnes advanced and were awarded another penalty which Danny TIckle converted for 22-10 and despite 30 minutes remaining, Wigan needed a  'Lazarus' type of comeback to avoid defeat. 

Another penalty for Widnes and another successful convaerion as the lead moved to 24-10.

Wigan tried to respond but to no avail as they slipped to their fifth away defeat of the season and will be glad to be at home for the final two games as Leeds and Warrington visit the DW Stadium.