Monday, 23 June 2014

Saints Rise To The Top

In glorious sunshine, round 17 saw some really close and exciting games as the end of season shape begins to form.

Robins Dent Bulls Survival Hopes

Hull KR improved their mixed form with a comfortable win away to Bradford who as a result may struggle to avoid relegation.

The Robins came close to a first try when Welham went over in the seventh minute but after review was deemed to have been in touch. The first try came in the 15th minute when Burns crossed and successfully converted his own score for a 0-6 lead.

Bradford responded with a try from Kear which after review was awarded and Gale converted to level the score but two tries in three minutes put the Robins back in front ahead of the halftime break.

Hodgson and Welham crossed for tries in the 35th and 38th minute with both successfully converted by Burns for 6-18 at the interval.

Hall extended the lead for the visitors in the 42nd minute but the missed conversion attempt meant 6-22 before Eden scored nine minutes later and Burns converted for 6-28.

O'Brien responded on the hour mark for the hosts and Gale converted to reduce the deficit but three minutes later Walker increased the lead for the Robins and Burns converted for 12-34 only for Addy to reduce the deficit further in the 66th minute with Gale converting for 18-34. 

Bradford's hopes of a comeback were dashed with two late tries with Hall and Eden both claiming their second scores of the evening and a single conversion from Burns meant a final score of 18-44.
A correct result and not too far off with the prediction of 12-42.

Huddersfield Defeat Battling London

After Bradford lost the previous evening,London knew a win would boost their slim hopes of survival but came away with a defeat to Huddersfield.

The Giants raced in to an 18-0 lead inside 20 minutes with tries from Grix,Ferres and McGillvary all converted by Brough.

Wardle extended the lead with the Giants fourth try for 22-0, London reduced the deficit before the interval with a try from Cunningham with a conversion by Drinkwater at 22-6.

McGillvary crossed for his second score in the 48th minute for 26-6 before two tries in three minutes from Drinkwater and Solomona coupled with a Drinkwater conversion meant London closed the gap to 26-16.

Huddersfield responded with two tries in as many minutes from Broughton and Wardle's second both converted by Brough for 38-16.

London had the last say with a try from Caton-Brown followed by a conversion by Drinkwater but at 38- 22 it was not enough. A correct result and a very close prediction of 42-18.

Dragons Survive Hull Comeback

Catalan continue their stunning home form with a narrow win over Hull thereby completing a home double over the Humberside teams.

Tries from Escaré (Bosc conv) and Oldfield put the home side 10-0 up inside 18 minutes on a glorious sunny afternoon in Perpignan.

Hull responded with a try from Ellis six minutes before half-time but a missed conversion meant a 10-4 score made worse by Garcia scoring for the home side and Bosc converting for 16-4 at the interval.

Millard increased the lead for  the Dragons just seven minutes into the second-half but another missed conversion meant a 20-4 score. 

Hull responded with two tries in the space of three minutes just after the hour mark with Yeaman and Shaul both crossing with Rankin converting both for 20-16 sadly for the visitors they were unable to level the score and the Dragons held on for the win. A correct result but off with the prediction of 38-20.

Saints Rise To The Top

After being displaced by Wigan on Wednesday St Helens knew a win would take them back to the top of the league and they took on rivals Castleford.

Makinson opened the scoring for the hosts with a try in the sixth minute but a missed conversion meant a slim 4-0 lead. 

Dixon crossed for the visitors to reduce the deficit in the 21st minute but tries from Wellens and Turner both converted by Walsh meant a lead of 16-4 for Saints.

Wellens struck again just before the interval with Walsh's conversion making the halftime score 22-4. The lead increased six minutes into the second half as Percival crossed with Walsh converting for 28-4.

Two tries in as many minutes from Walsh and a second from Percival saw the lead extended to 36-4. Castleford responded with tries from Sneyd and Dorn both converted by Sneyd to reduce the deficit with three minutes to go but Walsh put a gloss on the win for Saints with a penalty in the final minute making the final score 38-16. An incorrect result and wide prediction of 24–25.

Wolves Overcome Red Devils

Warrington closed on the top four with a win over Salford who as a result are still not safe from relegation. 

Salford open the scoring in the second minute with a try from Sa'u which was converted by Chase for 0-6 but a try from Ormsby four minutes later added to by a Bridge conversion meant a level score. 

Tries from Atkins, Bridge and Monaghan made it 22-6 at half-time lead with Bridge converting two out of three. Salford responded well with Morley scoring against his former side just four minutes into the second half followed by a Chase conversion. 

Evalds crossed to reduce the deficit further but a missed conversion meant 22-16 which became 24–16 when Bridge  converted a penalty in the 62nd minute before Evans went over six minutes later for a try which Bridge converted for 30–16.

Evalds scored his second try of the afternoon but it was not enough to  prevent Warrington securing the win when Currie scored in the final minute and Bridge converted for a final score of 36-20.

Leeds Bounce Back At Widnes 

Leeds bounced back from the defeat against Huddersfield with a win over Widnes who after three defeats in the space of a week have dropped down the table. 

Ties from Watkins and McGuire coupled with a Sinfield conversion put the Rhinos  0-10 in front inside 14 minutes. Widnes responded well with a trio of tries before the interval through Dean, Handbury and Ah Van with the latter converting twice for a 16-10 half-time lead. 

However, Leeds rallied back with a treble of their own with Sinfield, Sutcliffe and Briscoe crossing with Sinfield converting all three to complete the comeback and put his side in front at 16–28.

McGuire  crossed for his second of the afternoon to increase the lead for the Rhinos on but a missed conversion attempt left the score at 16–32.

Widnes responded with two scores in the last 10 minutes either side of Walters drive for Leeds (Sinfield conv ) with Ah Van converting both the Vikings tries but it was not enough to prevent Leeds securing a 28–38 win. A correct result but off with a prediction if 12-30.

Wakefield Overcome Wigan

Wakefield ended a five year losing streak against Wigan to surely confirm their place in Super League for 2015. 

The hosts opened the scoring in the 15th minute with a try from Kirmond which was successfully converted by Sykes for a 6-0 lead. 

Wigan responded will try from Hughes which was converted by Smith  to level the score at six all before two tries in space of five minutes from Liam Farrell and Gelling both converted by Smith gave Wigan a 6–18 lead.

Wakefield responded superbly with three tries before the break from Smith,Owen and Moore all successfully converted by Sykes for a 24–18 lead at the interval.

Seven minutes into the second half, Liam Farrell scored his second try of the afternoon and Smith converted to level the score. However, Sykes converted a  penalty in the 57th minute to put the Wildcats 26–24 in front.

Wigan regained the lead with a try from Sarginson but as Smith missed the conversion attempt it meant a slim lead at 26–28.

Wakefield responded and secured the win with two late tries from Washbrook and Lyne with the single conversion from Sykes making a final score 36-28. An incorrect result and of course the wrong prediction of 18–32.