Thursday, 29 May 2014

Giants End Warriors Streak

After a superb trio of wins for the youthful Warriors, their run was halted somewhat controversially away to Huddersfield who completed a double over their visitors. 

A mixed start for both sides saw Wigan look to have opened the scoring when Powell crossed the Giants line only to be pulled back by referee, Ben Thaler for obstruction.

However, Wigan did open the scoring four minutes later as a nice pass from Manfredi resulted in a run and try from returning captain O'Loughlin with Smith converting for 0-6. 

Wigan made it two tries in six minutes when a superb run from Bowen saw him cross for a brilliant try with Smith again successful with the boot for 0-12.

Huddersfield responded well and reduced the deficit after nice play in the middle saw Murphy score in the corner with Brough converting for 6-12.

The sides could have been level when Huddersfield were in again but after a review, their hopes were dashed but within minutes they were level when Lunt crossed the Wigan line and his try awarded after a review with Brough converting for 12 all.

The Giants charge continued as they went in front but only after Wardle was chased down stunningly by Manfredi with the Winger racing back to prevent a try but the next tackle saw Wardle go over and Brough converted for an 18-12 lead.

The travelling Wigan fans frustration grew  after Brough clearly crossed behind a team-mate while in goal resulting in a dash by Murphy that was halted strongly by Burgess with the Giants winger leaving the field injured.

Wigan looked to have made a perfect start to the second half as kick from Smith was taken badly by McGillvary with Burgess capitalising to score a try but after a review, the effort was denied. 

Huddersfield increased their lead as Wardle raced clear to score after what looked to be a forward pass but the try stood and Brough converted for 24-12.

Brough looked to rub salt into the wound when he swept over a drop goal for 25-12 but Wigan responded well with a superb last tackle kick finding Manfredi who grounded the ball superbly but Smith's missed conversion attempt meant a nine point gap at 25-16.

Wigan's hopes looked to be in tatters when a huge mistake from Burgess allowed McGIllvary to race clear for an easy try with Brough maintaining his record with the boot for a 31-16 lead.

Even though their winning record was coming to a certain end, Wigan did have the last say as a nice pass out wide found Burgess who crossed for a try with Smith converting for a final score of 31-22.