Sunday, 16 March 2014

Saints And Cas Maintain 100% Records

    Saints overcome troubled Dragons

St Helens made it five wins out of five with a 40-22 win over the winless Catalans to retain top spot and led 24-0 after Jones and Turner went over either side of a Makinson double as Walsh kicked four conversions. Catalans pulled it back to 24-12 at halftime with scores from Garcia and Pellissier with Bosc converting both to reduce the deficit to two scores.

Saints increased their lead as McCarthy-Scarsbrook went over and Lomax took over from the injured Walsh to convert for 30-12. Hohaia and Swift put Saints on 40 points with Lomax kicking 1/2 but an Oldfield double (Bosc conv) made it 40-22 but it was not enough as Saints claimed the two points.

Vikings run ended by Rhinos

Leeds continued their unbeaten run by ending Widnes' in a 38-4 win which was only 10-0 at halfway after a double from Jones-Bishop with Sinfield kicking 1/2 conversions, but was soon extended as Watkins and Bailey scored with Sinfield's conversions putting them 22-0 up.

The Leeds captain went over himself but failed to convert and Burrow and Jones-Buchanan's converted tries put them 38-0 up. However, Widnes had the last say as Hanbury went over to prevent a nilling but a missed conversion meant a 38-4 loss and the ending of a fine unbeaten run.

                                 Manfredi stars in Salford loss

Salford's poor run continued with a 12-28 loss at home to Warrington who opened up 0-16 lead inside 30 minutes with tries from Bridge, Higham and Ormsby with Ratchford kicking 2/3.

Salford hit back as Wigan loanee Dom Manfredi scored on his debut to for a 4-16 halftime deficit but Warrington went further ahead as Monaghan and Asotasi went over with Ratchford converting both. either side of  a second try for Manfredi making it 8-28. Salford closed the gap to 12-28 as Johnson went over but Mullaney missed for a third time to as Warrington completed a comfortable win. 

Thornley treble defeats Rovers

The televised game saw Wigan host Hull KR with a Thornley hat-trick giving the Warriors a 34-20 win after being 20-14 behind. Scores from Langley, Salter and Welham (Burns 2 convs) cancelled out Thornley's opener and Bowen's full length try with Smith 0/2 with the boot. Thornley bagged his second and Smith converted but Cockayne's score meant Rovers had the lead at the break.

Wigan levelled as Farrell went over and Smith converted for 20 all but Hull KR failed to reply and Flower put the hosts in front with Smith's conversion for 26-20. Wigan sealed the win late on with a penalty from Smith followed by Thornley's hat-trick try and Smith's fourth conversion for a 34-20 victory that leaves KR winless.

                  Wildcats crush struggling Broncos

Saturday afternoon saw London's miserable start continue as Wakefield hit 50 points for a second successive game in a 22-50 win.

Mathers put the visitors in front with a quick double with Sammut converting both but a Minns try successfully converted by Drinkwater made it 6-12 with Sammut restoring the 12 point lead after converting his own score.

Wakefield raced to a 6-30 lead at the break with Sammut bringing his tally to 14 as he converted scored from Collis and Lyne but when Mathers secured his hat-trick in the 47th minute it looked to be game over for the hosts despite Sammut's first miss from the boot for 6-34.

London fought back with a Solomona double (Drinkwater 2 convs) either side of Collis' second (Sammut conv) for 16-46 before Godinet and Cook exchanged converted tries.  Mathers brought up the 50 point mark with his fourth score in the final seconds as Wakefield secured their second win of 2014.

                       Giants Crush Bulls
Huddersfield moved up to fourth with a crushing win over Bradford who remain bottom with a negative points total. The Giants scored in the opening seconds through Grix but the hosts responded and Henry scored (Foster conv) for a 6-4 lead.

However, from there until the break it was all Huddersfield as Wardle, Lawrence, Robinson and Chan went over with Grix's second and four conversions from Brough made it 6-32.

Henry reduced the deficit for the hosts with his second try with Foster converting for 12-32 but the visitors hit three tries in ten minutes through Ta'ai, Wardle and McGillvary with Brough converting two for 12-48.

O'Brien (Foster conv) hit back for 18-48 but it was of little consolation as Ta'ai and McGillvary claimed their second tries either side of a Ferres effort with Brought taking this tally 9/12 from the boot for a 18-66 win.


                                      Hull stunned by Cas
Castleford left it late to keep their 100% record intact as they hosted Hull with the visitors opening the scoring in the third minute via Talanoa (Crooks conv) but were soon level as Shenton scored and Sneyd kicked for 6 all.

Eliis put the Black and Whites in front on the half hour and Crooks again converted for 6-12 at half time but Cas levelled as Sneyd scored and then converted his won try for 12 all. Colbon put Hull back in front with a try but Crooks missed the conversion so it was 12-16.

Mariano struck with three minutes to so and Sneyd converted for 18 all but in the next set he hit a one pointer than made it 19-16 and ensured that the Tigers made it two last-gasp wins in a row.

An exciting weekend at both ends of the table and a surprise to see two sides still with 100% records but that may be tested in the next round with the star tie being the a rrepeat of the 2013 Grand Final when Wigan travel to Warrington.