Sunday, 23 February 2014

Tigers At The Top As Broncos Stutter

The second round of games saw a couple of absentees as with Wigan down under in the WCC, their game against Widnes was called off so the Vikings had a nice week off. The other 12 sides didn't have that luxury and for some of them their performances showed that maybe they should have,

The first game of the week saw the Yorkshire derby between Wakefield and Bradford with the Bulls making up for their loss to Castleford with tries from Purtell and Kearney and a conversion from Foster putting them 10-4 up at the break with Fox in reply. George and O'Brien sealed the win with Foster converting both and Gale adding a drop goal with Wakefield's only second half points coming from Lauitiiti try and Sammut converting against his former side in a 10-23 loss.

Friday night saw two big games for different reasons as Leeds hosted Warrington and St Helens hosted Hull. Warrington faced another big rival after Saints last week and suffered a similar fate as they went down 18-12 despite leading through a converted Monagahan try but Leeds came back with a double from Hardaker and a third by Briscoe with Sinfield converting all three while Wire could only manage one further effort with Ratchford converting Westwood's try.

Langtree Park hosted a special match that saw a focus of memorial for Steve Prescott which began with the renaming of the Saints Way bridge in celebration of the former great and the sides contested the inaugural Steve Prescott Memorial Cup and it was a game worthy of the man as Saints triumphed 34-22. It was Hull who led at the break with tries from Paea and Whiting with a Crooks conversion while a Roby converted try put the score at 10-6. Saints turned it around with efforts from Soliola, Lomax, Makinson, Percival and a second from Roby and all converted by Walsh but Ellis Houghton with Crooks converting made sure it was a game to remember.

Saturday afternoon saw Salford travel to London and yet again the Broncos were on the wrong side of a score with a 18-44 loss despite taking the lead through Moore (Gigot conv) they were pulled back by Fages, Williams, Smith and a Hansen double for a 6-26 halftime score. London saw Griffin and McKeeken score converted tries but it wasn't enough as Fages got his second and Mullaney and Meli all went over with both adding to their five combined conversions.

Sunday saw two surprises as when Huddersfield hosted Hull KR and Catalans travelled to Castleford, Huddersfield led 24-6 at the break with Brough converting a try of his won and scores from Wood and a double from Robinson with Caro (Burns conv) in reply but Hull KR showed that they cant be written off as Cox and Hodgson reduced the gap with Burns converting but in the final seconds levelled the game as Caro got his second and Burns kicked successfully to seal the draw at 24 all.

Catalans loss to Hull last week as a shock as they were in front for a while but Carney and Dixon put the hosts in front with Escare (Dureau conv) making it 12-6 at the break but the Tigers repeated last weeks second half haul with 20 points with Carney completing a hat-trick and Tansey and Clark sealing the win to send them top of the league.