Saturday, 6 July 2013

Warriors Snatch Win From Bulls

A last minute try by Chris Tuson secured a vital win for Wigan which kept them top of the table after a massive comeback in the final minutes against a resilient Bradford who led 14-20.

Wigan got off to an amazing start with the opening try inside two minutes as debutant Hampshire fired a pass to Thornley who raced through the defence and picked out Charnley who ran clear over the line for the try but a difficult conversion was missed by Richards and Wigan led 4-0.

Bradford hit back in the 15th minute as a break down the left by Foster allowed Platt to get in good space and collect the ball before going over for the try which was well converted by Foster and gave Bradford the lead at 4-6. The visitors could have gone further ahead within minutes but Wood was pulled into touch after good Wigan defending.

Bradford did extend their lead though in the 25th minute as a high kick from Gale was missed by Hampshire while under pressure and led to Sidlow grounding for the try which was converted by Foster for a 4-12 lead. Wigan pushed to get another score and gave the ball away via a Gelling knock on which was soon costly as Bateman went over for a try despite being pressured by two Wigan defenders and despite Foster missing the conversion it was a comfortable 4-16 lead at half time.

Wigan hoped to make a good start to the second half but good defence from Bradford kept them out despite forcing an early drop out. However, it was Bradford who hit the first points of the half after being awarded a dubious penalty after what looked like a one on one steal by Charnley was given as a chance to kick at goal for Foster who duly obliged for a 4-18 lead.

Wigan forced another drop out after nice work from Dudson but were unable to convert it into a try but their luck changed in the 65th minute as a rampaging run by Hampshire saw him pass to Charnley who raced over the line but Richards' missed conversion meant Wigan were 8-18 behind.

Wigan went in again as Farrell burst through the Bradford defence to run clear and spied Tuson in support who collected the pass and raced under the posts to give Wigan hope of a great comeback which was added to with Richards' successful conversion which brought it to 14-18.

Wigan were penalised and Bradford had a penalty in a good position and elected to kick at goal which saw Foster convert to regain a six point lead at 14-20 and from the kick off a Scruton error gave Wigan good position but a knock on with the try line in sight cost them the chance to score.

Five minutes to go and the comeback was truly on as Thornley sped through a gap and raced over the line for a crucial try which was superbly converted by Richards to level at 20 all and from the kick off, Wigan pushed for the win and Smith attempted a drop goal but the attempt cannoned back off the defence to dent Wigan hopes.

However, Tuson broke free and had the home fans on their feet as he raced towards the line before diving over the line to a rapturous celebration by his team mates and fans with Richards brilliant conversion sweeping Wigan into a 26-20 lead.

The hooter sounded and Wigan had secured a last-gasp win after an average fifty minutes against a good Bradford side who were unlucky not to repeat last year's success at the DW but the fight off Wigan ensured they stayed clear at the top.

An amazing end to a good game of Rugby and despite being slightly wide on the score prediction the win was the main thing as well as another successful pick for the first try in Charnley.

Att - 13,213.