Saturday, 29 June 2013

Tigers Roaring Win Over Warriors

After a gruelling game on Monday at Warrington, Wigan barely had time to recover before playing host to Castleford last night.

Wigan welcomed back Green, McIlorum and Dudson while handing a home debut to Tierney and a debut in Rugby League to former Union player Andy Powell on a rainy night at the DW.

Castleford started the better of the sides and should have opened the scoring in the ninth minute as Hauraki came close to diving on a loose ball after a quick kick from Chase but no score and Wigan held on. Wigan were forced to drop-out twice in succession as Castleford piled on the pressure.

The pressure paid off in the 20th minute as a high kick was aimed at Tierney who spilled the ball allowing Dixon to collect and score an easy try to send the Tigers fans wild in the East Stand and as he converted his own try, Castleford took a 0-6 lead.

Wigan pushed back by forcing Castleford into two drop-outs and came achingly close to levelling as Sam Powell swept a kick over to the left for the unmarked Richards who in attempting to stop the ball knocked on and wasted a certain try.

The home fans cheered as Andy Powell came on for his Wigan debut and showed early promise with two good drives towards the line as Wigan tried to pull level. Richards knocked on again and Castleford gained good position from a penalty but thankfully for Wigan their defence was strong enough to prevent going further behind.

Another knock on proved costly as Castleford were awarded a penalty deep in the Wigan half and opted for goal with Dixon kicking for an 0-8 lead. Wigan fell further behind within minutes as straight from the kick off a break down the right between Owen and Tansey gave space for Millington to race clear over the line in the right corner and despite a missed conversion, Castleford were comfortable at 0-12 going into the interval.

Wigan were crumbling, had been nilled at the break for the second time inside a week and needing the comeback spirit they found at Warrington.

However, there was no repeat of the early second half success at Warrington as Castleford had the chance to capitalise from a penalty but Dixon missed from close range and gave Wigan hope which was soon dashed as Clare broke free and dived over in the corner to the delight of the travelling fans who saw Dixon again miss the conversion but led 0-16.

Wigan finally got on the score sheet in the 57th minute as Castleford conceded a penalty for a high shot on Green and the quick tap saw the ball fly from left to right allowing Charnley to dive over in the corner and hand Richards a tough position for the conversion which was horribly missed and left Wigan down 4-16.

Despite the missed conversion, the try lifted the Wigan faithful and the players and they could have had a quick second as Gelling was held just short of the line on the final tackle but it was Castleford who had the final score just before the hooter as they were awarded a penalty which Dixon duly converted for a famous Tigers victory by 4-18.

From the outset, myself and a few people around me had a feeling it would not be our night given the short turnaround and the number of players making comebacks after a long time sidelined but it still hurt to lose like we did and just hope that we can get back to winning ways next week.