Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Warriors Triumph After Early Scare

Wigan secured a safe passage into the Quarter Finals of the Challenge Cup with a comfortable win over an in-form Hull KR.

Rovers got off to the best possible start with a short kick off which led to forcing the Warriors into an early drop-out, and the result was a Dobson grubber kick which evaded the Wigan defence and bounced into the arms of Hodgson who went over for the try in the left corner. Despite Dobson missing the conversion attempt, Rovers led 4-0 and their fans were overjoyed.

Wigan could have fallen further behind as a quick Rovers break down the middle was wasted by a knock on when numerous options were available, Wigan finally had their first attack but it was a costly one as not only was it pulled back due to a forward pass but a hard challenge on Green saw him leave the field in a bad way leaving Wigan without a recognised half-back.

Wigan looked out of sorts after Green's departure but eventually got points on the board in the 33rd minute as a clever sidestep by Tomkins gave him a clear run to the line and over he went with Richards converting to give Wigan a 4-6 lead.

Taking the lead seemed to inspire Wigan as they went in again four minutes later after a mistake by Eden allowed Tomkins to take advantage and go over for his second try and Richards matched with his second conversion as Wigan went to 4-12 at the break.

Rovers moved further behind early in the second half as a pass inside sent Richards forward and an offload to Tomkins saw the him secure his hat-trick and Richards success rate continued with his third conversion as Wigan went clear at 4-18.

Wigan plied through yet again as a short pass found Richards who went over for a try of his own under the posts and adding the conversion put Wigan in firm control of the tie at 4-24.

Rovers were stretched and this time Charnley found space to go over in the corner but Richards miss from a tough angle put the deficit to 24 at 4-28.

It was becoming a case of when rather than if Wigan scored again and Thornley's excellent pace saw him break away down the left for a superb try and Richards was back to best with the conversion with put Wigan thirty points clear.

Rovers finally scored their second try in the 63rd minute through Hall after a high kick to the corner and despite Dobson converting it was surely only consolation for the Robins as Farrell regained the thirty point gap with a super run out wide to beat the defence for his 12th try of the season and again Richards converted for a 10-40 lead.

Tomkins ended Wigan's scoring just as he had started it by winning a chase for the line in the 76th minute and Richards' final goal put Wigan at 10-46.

The final score of the afternoon went to Rovers with Hall scoring his second try and another Dobson miss left the score at 14-46 and meant Wigan sailed into the last eight of the Cup.

My prediction was based on Hull KR being in good form but their form let them down in this game and my choice of a 12 point gap was far from the real gap of 32.