Sunday, 21 April 2013

Warriors Overpower Centurions

A comfortable win saw Wigan clinch their place in the fifth round of the Tetley's Challenge Cup at the expense of local rivals Leigh.

Wigan did have an early worry as Brierley broke clear for Leigh and a nice grubber forced Tomkins to clear and prevent a certain try, Leigh went close again after Ridyard's kick forced Wigan to defend on their line.

Ridyard had another good chance to open the scoring but his kick was too powerful for him to recollect before it found touch. Wigan got the ball back and O'Loughlin found his way over the line only to be held-up, but the resulting link -up between Smith and Tomkins saw Charnley go over the for the first try and Wigan led 4-0.

A penalty to Wigan was the base of their second try as Thornley supplied a pass to Richards who when one-on-one with Brierley sidestepped to give himself a clear run to he line and he managed to convert his won try to out Wigan 10-0 up.

Tomkins bagged his first try with a dash to the line after a dummy and a nice combination of Smith and Goulding with Richards' conversion moving Wigan clear at 16-0. Richards sealed a brace after a nice run by Thornley and a dummy allowed him to find Richards who ran clear to the line and also successfully convert for a 22-0 lead.

From the kick off, Logan Tomkins spilled the ball to give Leigh good field position and a sweet pass from Brierley found Parker who powered over the line to send the Leythers in the North Stand into a massive roar and Ridyard's conversion pulled it back to 22-6.

Tomkins hit his second try on the half-hour as Powell found him with a skilled pass and he dived over in the corner and with a hard conversion missed it meant Wigan led 26-6.

 Wigan's comfort into the break increased on the hooter as debutant Williams flicked a nice pass for Tomkins to fly clear to the line and secure his hat-trick and Richards converted for a 32-6 half time lead.

Last week at Bradford, Wigan were seen to ease off a bit in the second half but it was instantly clear it wouldn't happen here as within 40 seconds of the restart, Goulding raced clear and slipped the ball to Charnley who dashed towards the line and over for his second of the night and increase the lead to 38-6.

Leigh soon proved that they were still in the game with a stellar break as Parker offloaded to Ridyard who raced to the line, but in grounding the ball he knocked on to leave Leigh still with a big gap to close.

The gap widened as O'Loughlin put Richards in for his hat-trick and again he converted his own score as Wigan led 44-6. Leigh were soon out of contention after a a quick double from Tomkins and Charnley.

Tomkins scoring after a nice run to the line to make it 50-6 and he set up Charnley for a hat-trick try in the corner as Wigan stormed to a 54-6 lead,

Wigan's last score of the night came on the hour mark and it was well worked as Charnley broke through again and threw a nice pass inside to the supporting Williams who raced towards the line for his first try in a dream start in the Cherry and White jersey and what will hopefully be the first of many, Richards converted to give Wigan a 60-6 lead.

Leigh had suffered a 60-10 loss in their last game to Halifax and they matched that scoreline two minutes from the end as Brierley who has been their star man on the night latched on to a loose ball after surprising Tomkins, who challenged him in a race to the free ball only to miss out and see the Leigh fans in celebrate as Brierley touched down in front of his own fans.

As the hooter sounded, despite a final score of 60-10 the biggest cheer came from the Leigh end who were proud of their lads for a good showing against a strong Wigan team who have scored 450 points in the 11 league rounds this year including two nillings.

Prediction wise, I did expect a strong Wigan win and two near misses from Leigh could have made it closer to my guess of 40-12 but a win is the main thing as Wigan move into the fifth round to be drawn tomorrow afternoon.