Thursday, 4 April 2013

Record Breaking Wigan Humiliate Hull KR

Last season, MS3 Craven Park was the setting for Wigan's record breaking comeback from 26-0 down to win 12-42 and claim the League Leaders shield and again it was Wigan who set the headlines with a 84-6 demolition of truly poor Hull KR.

Blake Green and Scott Taylor returned to their former club for the first time and

Green bagged a hat-trick amongst a total of fifteen tries for the Warriors, a record away win in Super League (formerly 78-4 v Workington in 1996) and Richards' 12 goals also equalled a league record as Wigan moved clear at the top of the league.

 Wigan buoyed by Good Friday made an electric start and took the led in the fourth minute as a superb left to right passing combination put Charnley in for his 11th try of 2013 and Wigan led 4-0.

Charnley went off injured and was replaced by Jack Hughes which could have been a massive blow but instead Wigan moved further ahead. The move came from a penalty as Sam Tomkins gave Green a nice pass from 5 metres out and over he went to the disappointment of his former followers who now found themselves 10-0 down as Richards added the conversion.

Wigan hit their third score as Tomkins slipped though a gap to put in Thornley who flew over and despite Richards' miss Wigan were 14-0 inside 15 minutes but 14 became 20 quickly as Richards kicked past Latus and raced to the line and a successful conversion meant Wigan were in firm control at 20-0.

Jack Hughes got in on the act in the 23rd minute as Wigan went to 26-0 meaning Hull KR needed an opposite comeback from last year but those hopes were dashed as HKR old boy Green bagged his second try on the half hour, Wigan now 30-0 up and surely out of sight.

The Robins had other thought's and prevented the possibility of a 'nilling' just as the hooter went as continuous sets paid off with a penalty which Eden capitalised on and went over to some cheer from the home fans into the break.

The cheer didn't last though as just like in the first half, Wigan scored in the fourth minute of the half as Green snapped up his hat-trick with a classy dance through from close range and his half back partner Matty Smith also went over for a try five minutes later after a 40/20 kick was successful, and Green fed Smith with a pinpoint pass to give Wigan a 42-6 lead.

On commentary, it was remarked that Wigan's away record was 72-6 v Wakefield in 1987 and with 25 minutes left it was well in range of being broken which got closer as Tuson scored after Tomkins supplied the pass and Smith hit his second after a penalty as Hull KR were in disarray  and just seemed to be out of ways to stop a steamrollering Wigan.

Sam Powell got on the score sheet after latching on to a neat kick from Richards who seemed to be on fire since his early misses at goal and he provided another assist this time for Farrell in a carbon copy try and soon after Tuson and Thornley sealed their individual braces as Wigan breezed past the record away win and their all time league win of 78-6.

Sam Tomkins for all his work and assists finally scored a try of his own in the final score of the afternoon to put Wigan over the 80 point mark with the 15th try for the Warriors and the icing on the cake came from Richards who in converting hit his 12th successful conversion to smash the Super League record for goals in a single game and condemn the Robins to a humiliating defeat.

It was a shame that the game was only on the radio as a master-class such as this should have been seen on TV, although the high score is great as a Warrior, it is slightly embarrassing for the league itself as a 78 point win shouldn't happen between two top teams but as we saw last week Wigan put 62 past Widnes only for the Vikings to shock Warrington before again conceding 62 on Monday to Huddersfield.

As for my prediction, the Wigan win was correct but my thoughts of a close game and a 12 point gap went inside 15 minutes as Wigan went 20-0 up.